TJ diff transplant - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TJ diff transplant

I started work early this week on the diff transplant project for my Jeep, so I thought I'd create a thread here and keep it updated with the progress of how it's all going.

The plan is to have full width GQ diffs running under the TJ in the next 4-6 weeks. We plan to be running 15x10 mechanically bead locked wheels and 38.5 x 14.5 x 15 TSL/SX tyres. I was able to source a set of GQ diffs, complete with genuine 4.6 gears and ARB air lockers very cheaply. We also plan to move the rear diff back a further 6-8" and the front forward a further 1-2". Expected wheelbase is 100-102"

Tuesday night - removed front diff and steering componentry from the Jeep. Had to make up some huge stands to sit the vehicle on while it's diffless. The ones around the workshop aren't really tall enough.

Wednesday night - removed rear diff, fuel tank and fuel tank skid plate

Thursday night - picked up GU diffs from the guy we bought them off. The GQ which my diffs have come out of was also dropped off for us to remove his GQ diffs and put the GU's under that. Note to self - GU diffs are heavy to try and carry. Ended up using an engine crane.

Friday - removed front and rear GQ diffs from GQ. Stripped internals from front GQ diff. Removed and cleaned radiator from Jeep.

Saturday - cut all mounts and brackets off front GQ diff using plasma cutter and grinder. Primered the bits I've cut off to stop them rusting while sitting with the diff guy. Fit GU rear diff to GQ (simple bolt on job)

The plan is to send the front housing off to have the centre swapped from drivers side to passenger side. Unfortunately everyone who we've spoken to about this job has indicated minimum 2-3 weeks to do it.

Problems I've identified so far.

- Due to the way the chassis is shaped, it will be near impossible to run normal springs and shocks at the rear of the TJ once the diff is moved back. We plan to get around this by using coilovers in the rear. Have to measure size, but I expect 14-16" will do the job.

- The fuel tank was in the way, pulled it out, will run a small (~50L) fuel cell underneath the car in where the bodylift has created space.

- GQ's use a transfer case handbrake. We'll look into running a go-kart disc and caliper on the drive shaft or something to that effect.

I've been taking a few pics, which I'll post tomorrow some time. Will try to get lots of pics as we go along.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 19-06-2005
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds awesome Ben!!!! Are you running GQ TC or still the NP231?
Old 19-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_camel
Sounds awesome Ben!!!! Are you running GQ TC or still the NP231?
NP231 until I can save $5k for an Atlas II .. It'll probably happen 6 or so months after the diff transplant is complete.

Old 20-06-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some pics as promised

The old diffs, Super30 and D44 once they were taken out.

GQ front diff, in the process of having the internals stripped.

Underneath the back of the TJ, no diffs or fuel tank.

GQ rear next to the D44. Big difference!

Cutting all the mounts off the GQ front

GQ front is all prepared to go off to the diff shop tomorrow to get the centre swapped.

Now to start work on the rear.

Old 20-06-2005
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Looks awesome mate....
Here's a question - doesn't the Pootrol hand brake work off the transfer case? Ie Whatca plans for the hand brake??
Old 20-06-2005
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders
Here's a question - doesn't the Pootrol hand brake work off the transfer case? Ie Whatca plans for the hand brake??
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
- GQ's use a transfer case handbrake. We'll look into running a go-kart disc and caliper on the drive shaft or something to that effect.
Nuff said...
Old 20-06-2005
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

OOps maybe I shoulda read it not just oogled the pretty pics
Post New Thread  Reply