New Member just bought a 96 ZJ GCL - Need Some Bits - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2003
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff,

Trip sounds ok, I,ll see what my surgeon and physio say 1st.
Old 16-09-2003
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey PC,

Howd you go with the OME 2" Lift. Im looking at lifting my new ZJ 96 and was tossing up between the 2" OME & 3" Rubicon Express. Whats else have you done, Im looking for ideas!
Old 16-09-2003
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up a near new TJM full black bar from a private seller in Sydney with Winch support, airbag compat, light & antenna mount, etc for $450, good deal methinks. I also purchased 2 x remote keyfobs from private ebay sellers in the US for US$10 each plus US$5 postage so that is also good. I also had the car serviced at Wagon Wheels Concord Jeep Dealer (they are 5 min walk from my home so I thought wtf).

Replaced the oil pressure sender, now the guage operates as it should and did a minor/major service and paid about $440 for the lot, very happy with the service and the price. They discounted the hours on the basis that I will continue to use them for services which I think is fair enough.

I still have an issue with the car stuttering for power around 2500 rpm after being driven for a while and with low fuel, they think O2 sensors although I am convinced that there is water in the tank, when it gets low again I am going to drop the tank and drain it completely. They claim they chcked the inline fuel filter and it looked ok, I don't know if they pressure tested the pump though. I forgot to request this.

Overall I am pretty happy with my recent purchase and plan to do the following:

Fit the front Bullbar
Fit some appropriate kick ass lights on the bar.
Fit a Chrome front Larado Grille (I prefer these to body colour coded)
Fit a rear tow bar (it used to have one and has the plug already in place.
A nice solid reaer bar would be nice if cheap and available.
With respect to suspension I am still a little unsure, I certainly need new shocks and a steering damper and lower control arm bushes and am considering the OME 2" lift primarily as it retains road comfort and handling and does not require drive shaft chages etc.
I am confused as to whether or not I need rock slider side rails as whilst I do intend to do a little off road I don't expect to do any sort of severe off road work like rock climbing, do I still need these?

I recently also got a Haynes Jeep Cherokke service manual from Pitstop bookshop in WA but haven't had a look thru it yet.

Still on my shopping list are:

LH Passenger Headlight (OEM)
Rear Towbar
Rear bar bumper replacement
Front Grill in Chrome
Tech Service Manual OEM FSM
Maybe a 9000 Winch? Always wanted one!
Carpark style dents removed
Maybe a bored out throttle body and spacer?
Maybe a high flow cat and stright thru exhaust?
Old 16-09-2003
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mate Id defo go some rock sliderz, I bent my side step the other day and just brusheded off some dirt.

Im in the process of looking for a set so let me know if you get any.

Howd the remotes work?
Old 16-09-2003
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, rock sliders if anything at all, I am not a hardcore 4wder so maybe I don't need them, I will think about it, I understand that they are about $1100 fitted in Sydney.

The remotes haven't arrived yet and when they do I will have to get my local jeep dealer to pgm them or figure it out from the internet. The old remotes can be problematic due to RF interference from radio towers, etc bu there are ways around that problem, I don't fancy an entirely new central locking system update.

Just got some prices on parts I was looking for from Jeep dealer in UK (RHD market), seems almost as expensive as here and the frieght is a killer!!

Hi Peter
Here are some prices you requested for your 96 Grand Cherokee
Right hand drivers side mirror heated with memory £298.00 [OEM ] ($AU717 +GST)
Mirror glass [not OEM] £6.95
Headlight £182.00 [OEM ] (AUH$438 + GST)
All the above prices exclude vat.
UPS 4day express service £120.00 (AU $288 + GST) [insured & guranteed delivery by end of working day]
UPS 5day service £115.00 [insured but not guranteed by end of working day]
Can you not obtain these parts through your Jeep dealer in Australia? I,m sure it would be a cheaper option.
Regards Ian Charles from Just U.S. American autoparts

Just can't win on RHD Jeep parts huh?
Old 17-09-2003
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
A nice solid reaer bar would be nice if cheap and available.
good luck with that.. no one manufactures one for a ZJ.
custom make is not cheap..
importing lump of steel from teh US is not cheap.
DIY? engineering?

Quote:
Maybe a bored out throttle body and spacer?
talk to suburban4wd about the throttle body..

$1100 hey..
i imported mine from teh US and it end up closed to the 1500 mark... not fitted...

as for parts..
have you had a look in the suppiler list in teh sticky section ??
and ahve you tried to contact www.suburbanimports.com.au ?? some one posted them here a litle while agao and they seesm to have soemr good pricing there...

cheers
Old 17-09-2003
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had the ZJ at Surburban 2day, they fitted the bullbar, some IPF 130W Spread beams, K&N Flat Filter and a transfer case skid plate. Has now lost it's stock yuppie look and looks a bit more purposeful, wife hates it of course!

Booked next week for more work at suburban, OME 2" Lift, new steering damper, lower control arms & maybe bored throttle body but only if I replace the cat & exhaust methinks. Cat is newish but a little small, headers/extractors are newish and flow a bit better, cat back exh is stock. Need to work on the airbox intake too, very, very restrictive!

Still have this power loss prob at around 2500 rpm when approaching empty, always remedied with a refill, I am thinking water or whatever in the fuel tank. When cold Fuel pump delivers 50 psi at idle and approx 35psi @ WOT with fuel in the tank. Planning to drop the tank next week, drain, inspect & clean, maybe replace or clean fuel pump filter, inline filter and maybe even injectors?