WK2 - Front recovery hooks ? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-11-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Got this response from a jeepgarage website blog:

I asked the dealer where I purchased my Jeep from and this was the reply - I guess all is fine still?

You will still have recovery points but instead of being a fixed bracket now they screw into the car so you can use them as you need them . Feel free to come down to the show room and I can show you how they work.

Now I am really confused, or are these the $900 ones Fletch is talking about!!!???
Old 07-01-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Situation on tow hooks is now clear, now that my car has been delivered.

1. The 2011 tow hooks will not fit the 2012 model. There are two essential holes in the frame that have been deleted in the 2012 model (see image in http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=112125). Perhaps with a little engineering they can be adapted to fit. Interested if anyone achieves this.
2. There is a screw in 'tow hook' supplied, but it's only for on road towing, and not recovery.

Last edited by mhillman; 07-01-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillman View Post
Are there any? Am expecting delivery of my WK2 in December, and I was just looking at a new one at the dealer, and he and I couldn't see any front recovery hook(s). There were two plastic covers which look like they cover attachment points of some kind, but they are possibly only for a nudge bar. Can anyone post a photo of the WK2 front recovery hooks, or perhaps suggestions of suitable aftermarket ones if necessary.
Hi Marc & Fletch,
Wes at NM is currently chasing an answer for mine (on order) as I intend to use mine offroad and will be useless without some form of front recovery points. This product would be my ideal solution. Combination nudge bar with recovery points. http://www.4xguard.com/Product/Matrix.html
I think this is for the previous model GC, but they also appear to have a side bar option for this called brush guards. Given the design of the front bumper on the new WK2, an add on overfront bar which includes the snatch points may be an option to cover both.
regards
Scott

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 11-01-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its crazy that when I first orderd my GC Overland back in August there was no mention of "no recovery hooks" and my GC Overland is due next week,
I purchased the Overland for many reasons 1 being the fact it can be recovered as I do holiday at Fraser and Morton and you do need the piece of mind that you can snatch out if needed,

I certainly expect the dealer to at least supply the hooks as this is what I paid for , Just need to figure out a safe way of installing them
Old 11-01-2012
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamar210 View Post
Its crazy that when I first orderd my GC Overland back in August there was no mention of "no recovery hooks" and my GC Overland is due next week,
I purchased the Overland for many reasons 1 being the fact it can be recovered as I do holiday at Fraser and Morton and you do need the piece of mind that you can snatch out if needed,

I certainly expect the dealer to at least supply the hooks as this is what I paid for , Just need to figure out a safe way of installing them
I would also suggest posting on Jeep Facebook site.....
Old 12-01-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
2012 Grand Cherokee models no longer come with front Tow Hooks.
Apparently to meet Euro Pedestrian Impact Regulations!!!!

Jeep Australia could have had them put in the back of the car and fitted them here prior to delivery but no... that would be the common sense approach.

Ask your dealer for a quote and it will be $900+ for parts plus fitting!
Go to Just For Jeeps .com and they will land them at your door for $273 direct from the US.
We have customers expecting them on their new Grand Cherokee too!
The 2011 has them standard.
The 2012 we get does have a 30mm eye bolt packed beside the spare that apparently can be fitted and used as a towing hook.

The 2011 tow hooks available (so far) in the US won't fit straight up to the 2012 as the steel profile in the front member on the 2012 has been changed. Holes in the 2011 that were used to position the hook are no longer there. Check out Marc Hillman's link posted above.

So far on the WK2 forums around there isn't any information (that I have seen) regarding anyone who has successfully fitted recovery hooks to a 2012.

Last edited by JnK; 12-01-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 15-01-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have lodged a written complaint with Chrysler (a week ago), and no response yet. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle, as delivered, is not fit for its intended purpose.