The Return of Java Jeep's FrankenJeep - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts

I like the LHD , something different.

Indonesia is RHD like Oz
Old 31-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Today the machinist is making up some new transfer case shift levers which were missing on the transfer case we are using.

The levers will be 10cm longer to compensate for the body lift and I found the old ones were too short to reach comfortably when strapped in with a 5 point safety harness. Made up from rebar stock used for concrete foundations.

Test fitting of the transfer case to work out where the new mounts for the BMW gearbox will go in relation to the Willys transfer case.

The drivetrain will be lifted to a mid mount position in the chassis rails when the mounts are fabricated

Last edited by javajeep; 31-08-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2016
CrawlerStar

This is going to need a 3 inch body lift and a new floor to fit the drive train in this higher position

Underneath the chassis there is a slight under-hang from the parking brake drum.

The whole underneath of the chassis will get a big aluminum skid plate with a cut out for the parking brake drum
Old 04-09-2016
CrawlerStar

Default Drivetrain mock up - Saturday 3 September 2016

We put the drivetrain together using the location of the original transfer case mount but with the mount bolted to the top of the chassis rail

Observations are

1. The drivetrain sits too high , we will move the mounts to a position 1" below the top of the chassis rails. I will sacrifice a bit of ground clearance for a better centre of gravity and less body lift issues.

2. Everything clears , it's like this engine was made for this swap

3. The BMW engine is a few inches shorter than the Hurricane engine but the Getrag gearbox is longer, overall the drivetrain combo is the same length. Although the engine sump has clearance from the front diff I will move the Engine/Trans/TC back a few inches.

4. For the mock up I used some 33x12.5" tires laying around , I will be using 32x9.5"-10"

Old 09-09-2016
CrawlerStar

Not much happening this week as I prepare to go out of town on a project

Transfer Case Mounting Plate

We made up a mounting plate for the divorced transfer case

Next will be a new transmission / transfer case crossmember

Once the fabrication and alignment is final everything will come apart again , painted , new bolts etc
Old 11-09-2016
CrawlerStar

Default Instrumentation

Years ago the speedo stopped working and I was using a Garmin GPS for speed readings so I didn't need a speedometer.

I installed this manifold gauge from a WW2 P-40 Kittyhawk and while you wouldn't think a manifold pressure gauge is that useful in a normally aspirated engine they can be useful in detecting engine problems and I thought it looked cool and different. I had literally hundreds of these old WW2 and post war gauges laying around at work a few years ago after buying a package of military surplus (now sold) and they can be picked up on eBay for $20 to $50

It was useful for detecting manifold leaks and I could even tell when the dampening oil needed topping up in the SU carburetor I was using on the Hurricane I4

I also had installed in addition to the usual water temp, oil pressure, amp gauges

1. Fuel pressure , a very useful addition for diagnosing no start or running problems

2. Gearbox temperature, you'd be surprised how hot the transmission and transfer case gets in heavy mud

3. Engine oil temp , sensor mounted in the sump plug. Oil temp in my experience is pretty close to water temp +/- 5 deg C , a spiking oil temp can sometimes give you an early warning before a serious engine damage

Last edited by javajeep; 11-09-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply