Intermittent UConnect Stereo Clock Reset - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Intermittent UConnect Stereo Clock Reset

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this little quirk for me.

For no "apparent" reason, sometimes the clock in my UConnect stereo just resets. On an number of 'inconsequential' days now, the displayed time is just not correct anymore, and by a large number of hours in one jump.

Otherwise, the clock is as good as any modern digital clock, set to my GPS clock. Spot on, doesn't 'drift' at all.

I read somewhere about the power control system cutting power if it senses a current draw that exceeds a threshold.

At the moment, the only thing I can associate with this "phenomenon" is that it might be when I leave the rear tailgate or doors open for a long period of time and the interior lights eventually go out. I thought that was just 'normal' and it was quite smart. But is that the power module cutting the power and cutting the power to the clock with it, and hence resetting the clock time?

A small backup battery with a diode or two sounds in order....??
Old 03-08-2018
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

This sounds familiar, I believe this issue was discussed amongst owners of the map version of Mygigs quite a while ago. I’m not having such issues with the non mapping unit I installed RB2 but the clock does fall out over time.
Old 30-09-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Well, I thought it was the PMM cutting power if I left a door open. No such luck. Clock reset again last week. Car had been parked for over a week untouched. I'm going to see if I can norrow down just how long it takes, and then once I know the length of time it takes to loose the clock setting, then try with a float charger connected, to see if it's a battery issue slowly dropping voltage.

When the clock resets, I note the car doesn't start first go. It just winds over and over and over, without a cough, fart, nothing, nadda, nuttin. It's like there's no fuel pressure, or no fuel....

I have now formed a habit, that if the car sits for a week, I turn the IGN on, wait for glow plugs to go out, turn off IGN then turn on again, wait for glow plugs, and then start....no problems, smooth as. You could also say I am "Priming" the fuel system, like you might do after a filter change.

Oh, the "Auto start" doesn't work first time either, but does work after the first IGN "cycle".

Starting to think it's battery voltage related...so I'm going to start logging it.

Also want to find out if the KK is a "Smart" altenator or can I get away with a programmable VSR rather than a DC-DC charger/controller.

And co-incidentally, my old 1988 Daihatsu Rocky DL50 Turbo Diesel is doing the same thing! I have found after a few MONTHS of not running (yes, it is very neglected these days when I have something as nice and 4wd capable as the KK), if you try to start it, just winds over and over and over, not a cough, not a fire at all. I have to manually prime the fuel system using the inbuilt hand pump for bleeding the injectors, then she starts rough, but soon smooths out and runs great. Starting to think I have a leak somewhere that diesel is evaporating from, and sometimes I can smell diesel in the engine bay.

Last edited by Wiz.au; 30-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2019
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs down

Well I'm not sure if this applies, as it's about 2008 MyGig UConnect units, but they say the clock get's it's time via CANBUS, and the "Wireless Ignition Module" (WIN)?? Err, crap!

That means that at some point the WIN is loosing power/time, NOT the MyGig unit! ??

Oh, and I checked using my VIN at DriveUConnect.com:
YOUR VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE
There are no updates available at this time for your 2011 equipped with this system.

How the hell does it know what version is in my car now?
Old 16-05-2019
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Latest update:

The clock has not reset since;
1) I fixed the dash wiring & installed the LED, AND,
2) Charged the battery fully with my CTEK smart charger, AND,
3) Only hit the starter AFTER the UConnect unit has "booted" and is displaying the correct time.

And I'm sure it's been more than 3 days since I started the car last week. Now I'm going to have to start logging how long it is between driving the car.

But the clock is still showing the correct time, it has not reset since before Easter.
Old 16-05-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like a lot of work but must feel great to have it working! Have done some looking at UConnect and some of these problems are just so crazy and often never get resolved. Good work and good luck!