What did you do to your KJ today? - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-02-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantsawillys View Post
Yup, read your post on your 31s many times to make sure I got all the info I could. I should have mentioned I have a manual CRD with 4.1s already, so i'm all set. Pinchweld has been subdued and in the near future i will be replacing my lift with another as I don't think the previous owner did it right. Plus with the arb bar and winch on I need to add a few things to counteract the sag.

CMOHR, you're running the OME springs all round? I have the kings in mine, but they are the standard 27 front and 28 rear, not the HD or HDSP that i've read as specially designed by CRDSTU. Still has the original factory shocks on there as well, so next big spend is replacing all that and doing bushes and whatnot at the same time. I should be able to get another 10 years out of this thing.
I have now a white CRD 2.5 manual, and run the 31/10.5/15's on occasion on it, most of the time I'm running my street tyres, Mickey Thompson STX 265/70/16's .. Those EX HD rear coils of Stu's where originally designed and made specifically for my old KJ by Stu and it was the first ever to have them, They are still going in my CRD now after all these years, still around 4.5 inches of lift. In the front I'm actually still running my original heavy duty OME coils, and special magic to achieve more lift, but they are sagging more and more from the heavy CRD engine, will be updating sometime this year with Stu.

Personally, If you want a good setup, get some Mamba Alloys, 16x8 with 5in backspace, and pop on some 255/70/16's, either the STT's or some BFG muddies and you'll go anywhere you want, and have much less issues, and get away with a 2.5 to 3in lift.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 26-02-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Yeah I love my Mamba MR-1s wth Cooper STTs (255/70R16s), can't tell the differences from genuine TJ MOAB rims - but I only run them on the KJ on offroad trips and leave the Bridgestone D694s on the stock alloys for daily drive stuff. Having two sets of rims and tyres give you some flexibility, and you won't wear out your offroad tyres on the tarmac, but yes it's a cost initially and you have to store them somewhere (Securely). I recall that gi-frog lost his second set of wheels to theft from his shed - chain them up and get a big dog (if you live in Sydney).

Cmohr could you not just add a Prado packer, or another one? That might push back the investment required for the new springs, strut work etc. Or are you relishing the idea of getting stuck back into re-engineering the KJ suspension - which would be a good thing and I'd look forward to the updates.

So what I have been doing in the last few days/weeks is prep the KJ for the upcoming two week western NSW/Darling River River trip. Did a full transmisson filter/fluid service (so much easier with a drain plug in the pan); dropped and lubed the slip yoke; cleaned the MAP and MAF sensors (not that it's really needed with a GDE tune); built my DIY turbo surge blow off valve controller and tested.

Last edited by glend; 26-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 26-02-2013
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

I agree Glen, I've been running two sets of tyres for many years, two of my MTZ's are still the original MTZ's from back in 2007. I'd like to get some Mamba's myself

I already have Prado packers in the front, and actually 25mm spacers under the coil perches ...oops a bit of "worlds greatest magicians magic revealed"

Would be interested to see that relief valve.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 27-02-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

The turbo surge protection device will get a write up when I am convinved it's worth the effort. If your running the GDE tune, or stock software you already have surge protection - the software blips the EGR valve to bleed off boost during compressor surge. But, if you have EGR blocked off as I do (regardless of GDe or stock software) then you do not have surge protection as it can't bleed off into the exhaust - that's the only reason I am looking at it. The simple solution is to remove the EGR block and 'trust' GDE's claims that they only open the EGR valve to bleed boost in that situation. On early CRDs with the vacuum control and fixed vane turbo I am not sure if (compressor surge) is an issue at all. More to come.
Old 07-03-2013
Renegade

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ok, after having JBA CVs fitted I took it to Saunders Gorge Sanctuary for a test. I had done some beach driving a couple of weekends ago but had not really tested it. Well they came apart on the nursery track, pop pop bang. I was on a decline in low 1st with no obstacles to contend with I had to finish the decent and bent the LHF suspension strut in the process. It was recovered on a flat bed and is at fourplay's workshop at the moment. I've been in touch with JBA and actually was over a month ago as the mechanic questioned the fit. We had them out and checked twice, the axle to splines engaged but were sloppy. The mechanic foresaw wear issues but not mechanical failure. It was the CV cage (not sure of tech term) which burst on both. Just noting I did have it booked it to change the bushes in the rear upper control at, replaced with JBA item 18 months ago.

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD
Old 07-03-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Were these the ones that have been machined down to allow more flex?
Old 07-03-2013
Renegade

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No they were the standard ones as my lift, 50mm was considered significant enough for the greater range of CV lateral movement. The cut downs are built for 4"+ lifts.

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD
Post New Thread  Reply