Engine Light showing an Converter oxygen sensor problem - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Engine Light showing an Converter oxygen sensor problem

Evening,

Just took our TJ to the Caloundra Exhaust shop as the Engine light has been showing ever since I've owned this car (the previous owner showed me when I purchased it) as it brings up a Converter oxygen sensor error of some kind. We are getting 300km to 55 litres of petrol, driving very lightly and not flogging it at all.

This Exhaust guy explained to me that because this engine light is showing the error, The computer is told it needs more petrol to drive which is why we are burning through the fuel. Therefore the cheapest way of fixing was fitting this special device on the converter which stops the error from showing which then stops our Wrangler drinking so much extra fuel! He wanted to try the cheaper alternative first rather than replacing the Converter or something bigger. The vehicle does have extractors fitted and he said it all could be because they might not be fitted right, or the converter could be the wrong size or that the converter is full of crap and not working properly.

He charged me $140 but wants to see how it goes and has offered a full refund if it makes no difference or if the error comes back. Told me it has a 99% success rate.

Did this make any sense to anyone and what are your thoughts? I just fueled up and reset the tacho to see how we go. It does an average of 300km a week.
Old 04-02-2015
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

I had a backfire a few years ago which destroyed my cat and muffler. Once they were replaced my TJ was a whole new vehicle but don't expect to get anymore than 350-400klm per 55 litres.

cheers
Old 05-02-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

On my JK I had similar issues a while back. Intermittant engine light and poor running with a massive increase in fuel consumption. It was only less than a year old at the time and three trips to the dealer over a few months resulted in nothing. They could not find the fault or even admit that there was one. They kept telling me it was just bad fuel. So I picked up an ODBII dongle and installed Torque on my phone and monitored it. Next time it happened it actually went into limp mode throwing up codes indicating imminent catastrophic failure of the catalytic converter!

At the same time I was seeing the fuel trim for the left bank was at maximum squirting as much fuel as it possibly could into the motor.

Set about to try and check the O2 sensors and discovered the wiring was rubbing on the firewall heat shield and shorting to earth screwing up the readings and telling the computer the left bank of the V6 was running extremely lean. Fixed the wiring and never had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 06-02-2015
I like stuff and things.

Liked 163 Times in 98 Posts

Why 55L?
Tank holds 72L..
Old 12-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

Just on the off chance it is an old error, have you tried resetting the computer?
Disconnect both terminals of the battery and and put the positive lead onto the engine for 30 seconds to clear and reset the computer. This will clear any errors and also reset your fuel trims back to 0. If the error comes back then more than likely there is a definite problem there somewhere and needs to be tracked.

If the error comes back, do the ignition key trick to read the error code and let us know what the code is.
Old 19-02-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, the code is P0138 which is an O2 censor problem.

So this thing that the exhaust guy fitted worked for a few days (kept the light from showing) but now it comes back and then disappears. So I am getting it removed and refunded. He did mention that the Cat doesn't look stock and was trying to sell me a new one but I'm not falling for it.

The Jeep does sound quite nice and has had some exhaust mods but these guys don't know what a genuine TJ Wrangler looks like to know where it's been modded lol.

And Tonka Jeep, it's only a 55lt engine. Unless the Empty light comes on when it has 15lt left in the tank! haha

ahhh...I love living on the sunshine coast!
Old 19-02-2015
I like stuff and things.

Liked 163 Times in 98 Posts

I can get 150km on the empty light. It's a 72L tank.