TJ Wrangler front bushes...what do you think? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Are both your swaybar links bent?
Your dampner could use a few washers to pack it up a bit.
Old 21-02-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I don't know about the sway bars...what can I do to help you see?

Do a small video of what it looks like under there?
Old 21-02-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Dave View Post
Hello,

There was one pic (lower control arm) that showed that he rubber of the bushing had separated partly or fully from the inner sleeve, this is a accurate indicator of the bush being past it's useful life. I recommend replacing all control arm bushings.

Another cause of wobble can be the front trackbar/panhard. This is the one that goes diagonal from the frame on the drivers side to the axle on the passenger side. If it is worn at one or both ends it will cause wobble.

Worn ball joints are another cause of wobble, I'd replace them if they are bad.

I'd check all of those things, the track/panhard and/or worn bushes are usually the cause of wobble, ball joints least cause. Can't remember if you said its been wheel aligned lately, wouldn't hurt to have it done when the worn parts are replaced.

I had worn bushes and worn track/panhard and it wobbled badly, replaced control arms and wobble went away apart from a slight shimmy and vague steering, replaced trackbar and steering is now toight like a toiger

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanGetaway View Post
Thanks Dave, I'll mention that information to him. And yes it had a full alignment and balance just over a month ago if not less.

I have it booked in next Tuesday so I'll let you know how we go!
& the results from the alignment were? What was the castor at the start & when they finished?
If it has a lift of 2"-3" its unlikely with standard lower arms that the castor is in spec.
You dont give your location in your information. how can people suggest who you can go & see if we dont even know what state you are in.

Urethane & polyurethane are the same thing. The best you can get is natural rubber bushes. IIRC thats what was fitted from new.

its clear that there needs to be some restoration done before an alignment. If you were in Melbourne, you should go & see DBOR. In Sydney, Wooders. The local tyre place is generally a waste of time.
Old 21-02-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanGetaway View Post
I don't know about the sway bars...what can I do to help you see?

Do a small video of what it looks like under there?
You need a competent person to look at it. They will probably use a jemmy bar to move things around looking for free play. When they did the alignment did they balance all the wheels?
At the moment you are clutching at straws.
Old 21-02-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to the alignment I am not sure, I was referred to a mechanic that owns a TJ and they took it to a special wheel alignment shop after they put the new universals in.

I am on the Sunshine Coast in QLD.

Wheel Weights information:
Front Right 1x 20g and 1x 45g
Front Left 1x 30g and 1x 40g
Rear Right 2x 25g (both have a scratch through them as if to cross out the number)
Rear Left 1x 25G
Old 21-02-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
You need a competent person to look at it. They will probably use a jemmy bar to move things around looking for free play. When they did the alignment did they balance all the wheels?
At the moment you are clutching at straws.
Yes it was a balance and alignment. Cost around $130-$150 from memory.
Old 22-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts

Mate, I had the exact same problems. I got my TJ from my son who simply got sick of it because no one could fix it.( He lived inter state so it was hard for me to help him) It's all about basic automotive engineering and steering geometry, it hasn't changed since the model T. When you lift the vehicle you loose your caster angle. the other thing that goes out the door is the trust alignment ( the back wheels lining up with the front wheels). The death wobbles start and you destroy bushes and control arms and ball joints and tie rod ends and track rods. These all need to be in good condition but if you don't fix the cause the problems keep coming. I just posted a reply to 2 1/2 moab springs. have a read of that. I have a 2 1/2 inch lifted 31 in muddies TJ that handles beautifully. It is all possible but the job has to be done right. Some times I am embarrassed to be in the automotive industry, people are happy to take your money for half a job or send you away because it is not a quick fix and fast way to make a buck. I guess that is the fast pace world we live in. Stop take a deep breath sort out the basics and I am sure you will have a great vehicle.
Post New Thread  Reply