Oil Sump Plug - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Thanks mate, I ordered one this arvo.
Old 15-02-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
That looks a better solution Roscoe. What part did you use? Anyone know the oil pan drain plug thread size for WK2 CRD, is it Futomo F106 14mm 1.5 pitch job?
Sorry I haven't got back to you Troutman, haven't been online for a few days

This is what I got per the invoice from Fumoto:

1 x Part No.F106N (F106N 14mm- 1.5 w/nipple)

2 x Part no. LC-10 security clip (small)

2x Part No. FCAP (Cap for F series (small)
Old 15-02-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

Ordered the Ezoil Ezi 106 today $40 delivered is reasonable value
Old 15-02-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Money well spent . ...I was a diesel mechanic for 30 years & the amount of times I burnt my self trying to do a oil change on a hot engine, dropped the sump plug & had to go fishing or oil splashing everywhere you can control how quickly the oil comes out so no more mess. I think these type of valves should come standard on vehicles these days.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Old 23-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 82 Posts
Default Oil Sump Plug

Resurrecting an old thread, but I had something strange happen today. I have a 2012 WK2 Limited 3.0V6 CRD.

We're leaving on holiday with the kids in a few days and the Jeep will be due for an oil change during the trip, so I decided to rather do it before the trip.

So I started by inserting an allen key and undoing the sump plug and then screwing it out by hand like in the past. Whilst the oil was draining I replaced the filter and came back a bit later to fill it up. Should have been a simple process - screw in the sump plug by hand, but unlike in the past where it screwed in all the way by hand, it only went in about halfway and then felt really tight to turn, so I screwed it back out not wanting to cross thread it. I wiped the thread of the plug and sump clean and couldn't see any damage to the thread on either. Tried again, but it still only screwed in freely to the halfway point.

I decided to get a new sump plug and popped into Autobarn with minutes to spare before they closed, and as per this thread and the computer in autobarn the sump plug showed up as 14mm 1.5 pitch. I bought a new sump plug and headed home to finish the oil change, but low and behold, the 14mm is too small and doesn't fit. I did a quick measure and the old one seems to be about 16mm. I'll try again tomorrow to see if a 16mm plug fits, hopefully the sump thread is not damaged.

Has anyone had similar issues with the sump plug, either not screwing in freely, or not being the standard 14mm size?

Last edited by J33Pster; 24-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 24-06-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 82 Posts
Default Oil Sump Plug

OK, here’s the morning after update. Went back to Autobarn after measuring the old plug carefully and it seemed to be about 16.4mm. Got a 16.4 mm plug and visually they appeared the same, so I swapped the 14mm for the 16.4mm. Driving back home I was hoping for all I’m worth this will fix the problem.

Got home and the big moment, I jumped back in the pit, and slowly screwed in the new plug. It screwed in freely by hand all the way and just required a quick final tightening with the socket. Phew, all appears good and I’m busy adding oil.

As a few final words, it seems not all WK2 are 14mm, but instead 16.4mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-06-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Did you ever find out why the old plug wouldn't screw back in properly, especially since it came out easily enough?