ESP Disable - Take two - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-02-2009
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default JK Wrangler ESP Disable (CrazyNuts Mod)

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS OR REPERCUSSIONS CAUSED BY THIS MOD. DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IT IS INTENDED FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY

So the flash from JEEP wasn't enough for your off road needs?
ESP still kicking in when it's not needed?
BAS interfering like the Political Correctness Brigade?

Well here is your answer, the ESP Disable switch (aka CrazyNuts Mod)

ESP, BAS, TC and ABS is dictated by one module, the DYNAMICS SENSOR. If this sensor becomes faulty, or is disconnected, your ABS, TC, ESP and BAS will fail to function.

This sensor can be found in your centre console just in front of the rear cup holders on the driver's side.

Here is what you need to do

1) Unbolt the 4 screws that hold the centre console.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GkZIFUNT_v...ushing1-01.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HsyN5G-SY...ushing1-02.jpg

2) Locate the PURPLE/LIGHT BLUE wire. Be careful as there is a PURPLE/DARK BLUE wire right next to it and they look almost identical. I'd be checking twice, cutting once, here.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.jk-...04a-116261.jpg

3) Check if you cut the right wire, turn the ignition to ON and see if the ABS, TC and ESP/BAS lights come on and stay on after 10 seconds. If they do then you got the right wire.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...74eb6a21a6.jpg

4) Extend the cut Purple/Light blue wire by soldering some longer wires to reach a switch (polarity is irrelevant). Attach it to a simple ON/OFF switch anywhere in your vehicle. You can opt to make this concealed, but really, why bother?

Please note: While operating the vehicle with safety features turned ON, and you flick the switch it WILL disable the safety features on the move. Unfortunately it will not work in reverse. You will have to turn OFF the vehicle, flick the switch and then start it again for the safety features to return.

EDIT: As my original pictures were hosted on a private account which is no longer active, I have "acquired" these from the internet, but the process is the same.

JK-Forum.com have copied my mod and posted up on their site, for anyone wanting to reference their instructions/pics please see link below.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...7/#post3377200

Last edited by CrazyNuts; 29-01-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 15-02-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good on you
Old 15-02-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We Love You Crazynuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-02-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 16-02-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it important that the car is facing North and does it have to be 28C
Old 16-02-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

CrazyNuts ....

I'm having a problem working out which is the best part of your post ....

The pics and procedures or ......

The well worded comment in orange ......

Just one thing ... when you have the module switched off ... do your lattes in the cupholders go cold quicker ????

Could be of vital interest and importance to some ....

Last edited by carvesdodo; 16-02-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: forgot JK slur
Old 16-02-2009
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big90inOz View Post
Is it important that the car is facing North and does it have to be 28C
Yes, very important. You have to conduct the procedure correctly. Kind of like the steering wheel trick with the ESP.

If you do it facing south, you will be in -28 deg territory and I would imagine the soldering iron would have a hard time getting up to correct temp. Not to mention you will make the wires look like they have been in a boxing ring with Edward Scissorhands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
CrazyNuts ....

I'm having a problem working out which is the best part of your post ....

The pics and procedures or ......

The well worded comment in orange ......

Just one thing ... when you have the module switched off ... do your lattes in the cupholders go cold quicker ????

Could be of vital interest and importance to some ....
Latte? WTF? Hey...are you one of those politically correct do gooders in disguise trying to inflitrate this thread?

I'm watching you....
Post New Thread  Reply