Newbie question. Big wheel on grand cherokee. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-01-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Newbie question. Big wheel on grand cherokee.

Newbie question! HELP PLS!
I bought a 2nd hand grand cherokee lerodo 4x4 from interstate dealer 2 weeks ago, vehicle comes with 22 inch wheel. After drove for 1 hour i got onto highway and found steering wheel was vibratting when speed was over 85km and steering wheel was not straight. When i was going to do wheel balance i also found vehicle came with illegal tyres, loading rate is under spec, so i replaced them with the correct tyres as soon as i found out on Tuesday. And believe or not, with these illegal wheels on auto king has issued RWC to me!!

The vehicle is now fitted with 22 inch wheel (lenso) and tyre (Achilles), and have done wheel balance and alignment. But found vehicle's steering wheel is still not straight, and steering wheel is a bit vibratting when speed is over 90km/hour. The vibratting issue is a lot better but not completed solved.

So are these issues all caused by 22inch wheel and not fixable? Or i just need to get Jeep to redo the alignment and wheel balance. Note i have done wheel balance twice by now but the vibratting problem is still there (better though).

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Outline of the issues and steps taken.
1, Bought on vehicle second hand on 04/01/2014, steering wheel keep pulling to the left and steering wheel shudders randomly once speed over 85km/h.
2, I had new 22inch tyres fitted on 15/01/14 and wheel balanced, this did not fix the shuddering problem.
3, I had wheel balance and alignment done at jeep dealer on 17/01/14, and shuddering problem got improved but its still there, steering wheel still pulls to the left.
4, I had wheel balanced again at a family tyre shop on 22/01/14, and did not fix the shuddering.
5, I had front and rear wheels swopped over on 23/01/14, and shuddering got slightly better but its still there.

Jeep dealer argued they cant do anything as vehicle as un-stardard wheels (22inch) on them.

Last edited by gcgc888; 23-01-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 19-01-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Issue is not related to wheel size specifically. Balance or vibration issue is to do with tyre issue, wheel issue or suspension/steering component issue. If wheels balanced perfectly on balance machine then issue must be in the car itself. I would not be relying on car dealers staff to do a good job on wheel balance and alignment especially with large wheels. Go to a proper and quality wheel/tyre or suspension place.

Oh by the way you may have now got the correct load rated tyre on your car but a 22" rim on any Grand prior to the WK2 will still be illegal. What model Grand do you have including year. This can also have a bearing on advice regarding mechanical issues to check. Do you also know if the load rating of the rims themselves are up to spec. Sometimes the cheap imported rims are not.
Old 20-01-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
Issue is not related to wheel size specifically. Balance or vibration issue is to do with tyre issue, wheel issue or suspension/steering component issue. If wheels balanced perfectly on balance machine then issue must be in the car itself. I would not be relying on car dealers staff to do a good job on wheel balance and alignment especially with large wheels. Go to a proper and quality wheel/tyre or suspension place.

Oh by the way you may have now got the correct load rated tyre on your car but a 22" rim on any Grand prior to the WK2 will still be illegal. What model Grand do you have including year. This can also have a bearing on advice regarding mechanical issues to check. Do you also know if the load rating of the rims themselves are up to spec. Sometimes the cheap imported rims are not.
Thanks for your suggestions here, Fester.
It is Jeep Grand Cherokee MY2014, 4x4, basic model. How do I tell rim's spec though, loading rate etc. I only found it has LENSO printed in the center of the rim, tyre itself is legal and i got confirmation from transportation department as per below.
"The overall tyre diameter can be increased to allow an increase of 15mm in vehicle height for four wheel drive vehicles. my tyre is 285/40R22.
Where do you think is the best place to have wheel balance and wheel alignment done? Of course i will bring vehicle back to dealership to have another alignment done.
Old 20-01-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post

Buying this vehicle is not my best decision, however, I do not mind replacing them with 20inch wheels and tyres if i have to, and if it fixes the problem. My only concern is, what if i go to 20inch and problems are still there.
Old 20-01-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

One thing to check is whether these are hub centric rims. some rims have a large centre hole bigger than the vehicle hub and if the rim is not centred correctly it may cause vibration.
To avoid this problem most shops fit hub rings. They are quite cheap and can make the world of difference.
Old 21-01-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost26 View Post
One thing to check is whether these are hub centric rims. some rims have a large centre hole bigger than the vehicle hub and if the rim is not centred correctly it may cause vibration.
To avoid this problem most shops fit hub rings. They are quite cheap and can make the world of difference.

Thanks, a bit of unsuccessful trip to Jeep.
Jeep rekon all the problems are related to the wheel size being too big, and is not keen to recheck the vehicle. I have left the vehicle @ jeep anyway, I will see what is the feedback today.
I wonder how will the vibrating of steering wheel going to affect the car, can I just drive as is. I really had enough.
Old 21-01-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The vibration will cause excessive wear & premature failure of front end components if not cured.
Can't the dealer fit a set of standard rims & tyres off another GC they have there? Would eliminate the guess work.
If they won't what part of OZ are you in? Maybe a forum member can help you out.