Newbie question. Big wheel on grand cherokee. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What worries me is, what if I go back to factory original rim and tyre and problem is still yet. If problem still exist after fitting with Jeep original rim and tyre, would jeep offer any solution under warranty?
Or do I have to sort this out with the dealer I bought the vehicle from which interstate.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Old 21-01-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Under Australian consumer law any vehicle sold to you by a dealer must be fit for purpose.
If it is the rims at fault that came with the car when purchased its the dealer who sold you the car responsibility to fix,
but if its an issue with the front end other then wheel alignment or accident damage its covered by the manufacturers warranty & any Jeep dealer is obliged to rectify the fault under warranty.

That's why I suggested that you borrow/beg/steal some standard 18" wheels for the afternoon to prove either way.
If its the rim's they to should be covered by a manufacturer warranty as well as your GC is a 2014 model.

All the components to your car be it factory or aftermarket will have a statutory warranty under Australian law so even if your GC has been in an accident (prior to you purchasing) the selling dealer is ultimately responsible to repair/replace or refund of that vehicle as he sold it to you with a RWC.
Old 21-01-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
The vibration will cause excessive wear & premature failure of front end components if not cured.
Can't the dealer fit a set of standard rims & tyres off another GC they have there? Would eliminate the guess work.
If they won't what part of OZ are you in? Maybe a forum member can help you out.

sorry i only just see your reply just now.
I m on gold coast, but i could travel to brisbane if this helps.
Thanks so much for the suggestion, but jeep is not willing to do this for me. They simply said you had 22inch wheels on your vehicle, thus the wheel and tyre part is not covered by jeep.
Old 21-01-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Go hassle the dealer you bought it from about the incorrect load rating on the tyres + vibrating wheel

If you purchased it from NSW and the purchase price was less than $57k (being a laredo it should've been!) then you could be covered under your 3 month statutory warranty.
Old 21-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Jeep are not going to be bothered doing anything about the rim size as 22 inch rims are not specified for that vehicle. The onus is a grey matter between you and the dealer you purchased the vehicle from. The dealer may or may not have been aware that those rims do not conform to adr's applicable to that vehicle. However, I suggest that you try swapping the rims from front to back and driving the vehicle and see if it still does it.

If it doesn't vibrate anymore then you know that one of the front rims is troublesome. If it does vibrate then you have front end issues. Depending on if there is anything wrong with the front end then you may very well have to find out if it is covered under warranty or subjected to normal wear and tear which will not be covered under warranty but should have been picked up as a fault during the roadworthy inspection.

Unfortunately by buying the vehicle interstate and if work under the dealer warranty needs to be done you will have to contact the dealer who you bought the car from and get approval from him for payment and give him quotes if you cannot take the car back to him to have work done on it. You must give the purchasing dealer first rights before work is done.

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Old 21-01-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastus2571 View Post
...However, I suggest that you try swapping the rims from front to back and driving the vehicle and see if it still does it.

If it doesn't vibrate anymore then you know that one of the front rims is troublesome. If it does vibrate then you have front end issues...
I agree with boost26 and if the aftermarket rims don't have the correct hub size (72mm??) they may well not be properly centered causing the vibration. Swapping them front to back will not necessarily do anything about this so if it still vibrates it could still be the rims at fault.

Only sure way is to get hold of some standard rims and test with them on.
Old 21-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hills46 View Post
I agree with boost26 and if the aftermarket rims don't have the correct hub size (72mm??) they may well not be properly centered causing the vibration. Swapping them front to back will not necessarily do anything about this so if it still vibrates it could still be the rims at fault.

Only sure way is to get hold of some standard rims and test with them on.
He has already been told about the centering cups. I agree and I took this into account when I posted.

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Post New Thread  Reply