Newbie question. Big wheel on grand cherokee. - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastus2571 View Post
Jeep are not going to be bothered doing anything about the rim size as 22 inch rims are not specified for that vehicle. The onus is a grey matter between you and the dealer you purchased the vehicle from. The dealer may or may not have been aware that those rims do not conform to adr's applicable to that vehicle. However, I suggest that you try swapping the rims from front to back and driving the vehicle and see if it still does it.

If it doesn't vibrate anymore then you know that one of the front rims is troublesome. If it does vibrate then you have front end issues. Depending on if there is anything wrong with the front end then you may very well have to find out if it is covered under warranty or subjected to normal wear and tear which will not be covered under warranty but should have been picked up as a fault during the roadworthy inspection.

Unfortunately by buying the vehicle interstate and if work under the dealer warranty needs to be done you will have to contact the dealer who you bought the car from and get approval from him for payment and give him quotes if you cannot take the car back to him to have work done on it. You must give the purchasing dealer first rights before work is done.
This is very helpful.
I will contact Deal where i bought the vehicle tomorrow, this dealer has mislead me by saying "i sold you the vehicle as is, and i m not responsible for replacing the tyres to a proper tyre".
I have trusted his words and bought the new 22inch tyre myself, and found it still did not fix the problem. Now i have to go back to 18inch or 20inch, and do not know if this will work or not.
Would you recommend me go direct to fair trading this time??? My dealer has just simplying keep lying to me.
Old 21-01-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgc888 View Post
"i sold you the vehicle as is, .
This is a crock of bullsh!t, the dealer is obligated under law to make good any defect in goods sold.

Was it a Jeep dealer who sold you the GC?

If you are a member of RACQ they have a Legal Advisory service that may be able to help.
Old 22-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Default Re: Newbie question. Big wheel on grand cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgc888 View Post
This is very helpful.
I will contact Deal where i bought the vehicle tomorrow, this dealer has mislead me by saying "i sold you the vehicle as is, and i m not responsible for replacing the tyres to a proper tyre".
I have trusted his words and bought the new 22inch tyre myself, and found it still did not fix the problem. Now i have to go back to 18inch or 20inch, and do not know if this will work or not.
Would you recommend me go direct to fair trading this time??? My dealer has just simplying keep lying to me.
In actual fact then he has sold you an un-roadworthy vehicle. Nuff said.....

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Old 22-01-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Name and shame the dealer.
Old 22-01-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

He may have sold an unroadworthy vehicle because the tyres were not correctly load rated however unless you still have these tyres or can get a declaration from the shop that you bought the new tyres from you may have a hard time proving that now. The 22" rims are a legal fitment on the GC as you can go a +2 fitment based on the largest rim available on that range of vehicle. Given the upspec models run a 20" then 22" is allowable. That's why I asked originally what model as anything prior to the WK2 would be an illegal fitment.

Who fitted the new tyres and why could they not do a proper balance and alignment. I would never trust a dealer workshop to do a PROPER alignment anyway but if you are getting dicked around by the dealership then a GOOD alignment shop should be able to confirm for you whether there is a wheel/tyre issue or a mechanical issue.

Is it a vibration through the driveline or a shimmy through the wheel. An unbalanced wheel as far as I know will generally show up as a shimmy in the steering wheel moreso than a vibration through the driveline.
Old 22-01-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
He may have sold an unroadworthy vehicle because the tyres were not correctly load rated however unless you still have these tyres or can get a declaration from the shop that you bought the new tyres from you may have a hard time proving that now. The 22" rims are a legal fitment on the GC as you can go a +2 fitment based on the largest rim available on that range of vehicle. Given the upspec models run a 20" then 22" is allowable. That's why I asked originally what model as anything prior to the WK2 would be an illegal fitment.

Who fitted the new tyres and why could they not do a proper balance and alignment. I would never trust a dealer workshop to do a PROPER alignment anyway but if you are getting dicked around by the dealership then a GOOD alignment shop should be able to confirm for you whether there is a wheel/tyre issue or a mechanical issue.

Is it a vibration through the driveline or a shimmy through the wheel. An unbalanced wheel as far as I know will generally show up as a shimmy in the steering wheel moreso than a vibration through the driveline.
Thanks for the reminder.
I do have written evidence from 2 x tyre shop stating i had illegal tyres on my vehicle.
I have 3 x wheel balance done now, the shuddering is still there. did 2 x balance at one family owned tyre shop and 1 x balance at jeep dealer on gold coast. Could you please recommend a proper alignment and wheel balance shop, what about Bridgestone?
I think mine is shimmy in steering wheel only.

One of my friend suggest me to get a lawyer letter to outline the whole story and request for payment, as this will have legal effect. i am not sure if my case is at this stage as yet??
Old 23-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Default Re: Newbie question. Big wheel on grand cherokee.

Arrange to have a complete front end check done on the vehicle. It is obvious there is an under lying problem somewhere and you aren't getting anywhere with the alignments.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Post New Thread  Reply