Camper trailer charging, not as simple as I thought - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Yeh not sure what the deal is there Scarps. I think perhaps it will charge eventually, but maybe for me, not able to charge up what is used in the time I'm driving during the day between camps.

Anyway I've decided to get a refund on the original SBI12 isolator and install the BCDC1225-LV unit, but in a more simplified arrangement (less stuff to go wrong the better). So with this set up I can charge the trailer with the solar panels by plugging directly into the anderson connection. And if I want to charge the car I can use the original cheap charlie 30amp MPPT solar regulator that came with my solar panels to charge back through the car anderson plug. And when I just camp up for the night with the car still connected up, the car battery will be isolated from the trailer through the BCDC unit. Should be all good. Haven't got a price on the change over, but I'm definitely not paying the ticket price on the BCDC unit ($612.85) when I can get it off ebay for $349 with $20 delivery. It'll be interesting to see what price Deerings come back with.

FYI the only difference to this drawing is that the blue wire needs to be hooked up to the ignition (not back to the battery +)

[IMG]BCDC1225LV[/IMG]
Old 14-02-2014
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Scarps, have you checked the gauge accuracy with a multimeter?
Reason I ask is all lead acid batteries have a fully charged volt of 12.6 v , you can get a surface charge straight after charging which can go a bit higher but 13.8v doesnt sound right.
Old 14-02-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default Camper trailer charging, not as simple as I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
Reason I ask is all lead acid batteries have a fully charged volt of 12.6 v , you can get a surface charge straight after charging which can go a bit higher but 13.8v doesnt sound right.

Taking the Jeep for a drive tomorrow, will put the multimeter on it.

2012 WK2 GC Laredo Diesel with all the goods I can find.
Old 16-02-2014
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post

You are correct, I meant 12.8v, not 13.8v. Have amended my post accordingly.

Old 16-02-2014
Full Flexer

Here's my multimeter reading at the Anderson Plug this morning.

8 hours of driving yesterday with Waeco Fridge plugged in and operating.

These readings matched the guage on the dash perfectly pre and post ignition.

Last edited by scarps; 16-02-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 16-02-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

These are readings off your car battery aren't they? Or is this a reading off a second battery in the car? What I'd be interested to know is how well/quickly it charges up a nearly dead battery in the camper/second battery. Out of interest, have you got any pics of how/where you mounted your second battery?

From what the Red Arc rep says, with the standard SBI12 isolator in, it will take twice as long to charge the trailer, because it won't recognise that it needs charge, and the variable voltage alternator won't crank up. I'm no expert, I'm just listening to people who are supposed to know what they are talking about. But sure, they are trying to sell me something. It's working. FYI, I'm running a 80Lt dual zone Waeco in my trailer while I'm on the go.
Old 16-02-2014
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffV View Post
These are readings off your car battery aren't they? Or is this a reading off a second battery in the car? What I'd be interested to know is how well/quickly it charges up a nearly dead battery in the camper/second battery. Out of interest, have you got any pics of how/where you mounted your second battery?

From what the Red Arc rep says, with the standard SBI12 isolator in, it will take twice as long to charge the trailer, because it won't recognise that it needs charge, and the variable voltage alternator won't crank up. I'm no expert, I'm just listening to people who are supposed to know what they are talking about. But sure, they are trying to sell me something. It's working. FYI, I'm running a 80Lt dual zone Waeco in my trailer while I'm on the go.

The first pic is the reading at the Anderson Plug pre ignition, so second battery only.

The second pic is post ignition and Piranha Solenoid has opened up.

There is an old thread on here of my battery install. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=117452

I've not had a nearly dead battery to date, so not really sure how long it takes to charge.

My Piranha solenoid always opens up approx 10seconds after ignition and keeps the second battery topped up.

My second battery is strapped down behind rear passenger seat and the Waeco 50l on a slide behind the battery.

Last edited by scarps; 16-02-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply