Grand Willys Project - Page 296 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-10-2023
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep GC View Post
Arrr yes, been is such a situations like this, a few times over the decades of workshop life. Not so much over a bare chassis like this, except for my own car builds, but customer builds a few rather swift and loud verbal interactions were in order to others on the other end of such apparatuses.

Usually ending in high 5'vs and beers or teers scratching a fender inner or something on a mint classic.

To be fair, the 'apprentice' in Jeep Willey HQ balancing the donk was quite controlled, verbal commands precise, whilst the mechanical engineer controlling the lift was quite in control of the gently lowering of the offending out of balance item

Team effort = 2 x cases of finest QLD beer
Ha ha, love the whole reply.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 31-10-2023
LokRinger

Coming time to decide what colours to paint the old HEMI coil covers and the piece over the radiator that I embossed the 'W' into. I think the hammer tone I did the covers in blend them in too much, so maybe body colour with black centre wire cover? Otherwise could do silver with wire cover satin black like original? There was even a gold version.
Around the lock area and radiator top cover body colour?

The very top of the firewall, last 100mm/4" above the pinch weld, will be the olive gold body colour, below that is a firewall pad. The suspension tower brace, runs from one side to the other with the three holes in it, I don't want it to be a main feature, so will be satin black along with the inner guards and back of the grille etc as can't see them anyway.

My web site:
Old 28-11-2023
LokRinger

Once the chassis was completely painted, I drove 2 hours to the best place that did ceramic coatings on exhaust systems and turbos etc. High Performance Coatings. http://hpc.com.au You can see how the stainless system had already discoloured a lot in the 4000 km I have done.

I wanted to not only improve the appearance, but get the reduction in heat in the engine bay and under the floors. It also takes out the tinny sound of headers and improves exhaust velocity giving a little extra power. I had them coat even all the clamps to keep everything looking the same.

The chassis now is fully plumbed for the fuel system and the rear brake lines up to the ABS connections.

Also the whole cooling system is done along with the powering steering and hydraulic engine fan. As much as possible of the AC system and the complete engine and chassis harness's are all in place. Brake callipers were stripped and new seals and boots fitted where needed. They were also coated in heat proof paint to restore them. Everything is ready to go once the cab and front panels arrive.

Video update:
https://youtu.be/3Jl9gWBZ8ms

My web site:
Old 10-02-2024
LokRinger

A little update as dropped by the painters yesterday with my wife.

In primer ready for final blocking before top coat!

All coming along very nicely.

My cab is on its back getting the floor and firewall ready to be painted and Raptor Lining sprayed on.

This is why you have a test spray out done. The one left in the picture we had done originally and in DeBeer's paint and the right was just done by the painter in Mipa branded paint that they want to use on the Truck. Way different! The original looks the same as the original Harley Davidson colour, supposed to be Olive Gold Pearl, where Mipa's version of the same paint code is much more green and has more sparkle. Not what we are after as too pretty for a truck. Also we are after olive, not green.

You can also see how the Mipa one on the left loses colour quickly when not in direct sunlight. Something we want to avoid on the truck.

This is what it is suppose to look like and the DeBeer's version looks spot on.

So now I am going to see what Mipa's version of Harley Davidson Olive Gold Denim is like with a gloss clear over it, but they haven't the formula for it! It is a lighter version of the other Olive Gold and normally doesn't have a clear over it as is a matt version. I have also the option of ordering and having it painted in the DeBeer's paint, (made in the Netherlands and owned by Valspar), but they feel the quality isn't quite as high as Mipa, (made in Germany). I don't know myself.

My web site:
Old 14-02-2024
LokRinger

https://youtu.be/MRgxajzQ9kM
Testing out the other Harley colour.

My web site:
Old 05-03-2024
LokRinger

Fresh off the gun without any cutting or polishing. Photos show it more green than it is to the eye and is the original choice of Harley Davidson Olive Green Pearl.

Painter is happy with the De Beers paint and said will get even better off the gun now he has a good handle on how it flows out.

Truer to the natural colour. Louvers look great considering I cut them with a wood chisel and formed them by hand with a piece of redgum into a steel form I made!

Even the bits you wont see behind the bed wall look great!

The cab will be left to harden for a few weeks and then cut and polished. Doors and front clip will be next and have already been blocked ready for final primer.

My web site:
Old 05-03-2024
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Going to look fantastic.