Manual vs automatic - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

I prefer to changes gears myself. I'm still young enough and coordinated enough to do so while driving . Autos in most cars only seem to know how to change up well, not down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buzzcutter View Post
Depends on make and model and how new or old you are buying. The new pentaster on the wrangler with the five speed auto is hands down better than the manual in all situations and as they now come with hill descent I wonder why anybody would purchase a new manual?
I have an MY13 JKUR, going down hill in 1st gear 4L or even 2nd, you can get out an walk down faster. I have to occasionally tap the accelerator to give it a move on.
Okay the 6spd is a bit notchy, but learning how to change it quickly and smoothly is part of the art of driving a manual well.
Old 14-03-2013
Established Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmark View Post
Cause nowdays there is more point and shoot driving and letting the car do all the work and less real 4wding. Bit old school but I like to 'Drive the car'. Traction control, Hill descent, ABS, responsive suspension is all taking the fun out of it. And it makes us lazy 4wders.
I learnt so much more out of my old ifs hilux than any big fat patrol.

M
Yeah that's progress for you, if you want old school why not go for it in a model T Ford? Then you you would be really having fun - none of that new fangled starter motor junk just a good old cranking handle and decompression lever

2012 JK Unlimited
85 CJ8 Overlander
83 Overlander build
Old 15-03-2013
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Whats wrong with a manual in a new 4wd? every car I've owned has been manual, my last 4wd has ben manual. and I now own a new JKUR in manual... I would agree autos are probably easier when rock hopping, purly for the lack of a clutch.

Having manual is just having more control, and its everybodies own personal choice.
Old 15-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^ i'm glad someone actually asked,
as i only have 2002 modle that's as new as i get, no fancy technology at all! and i love it, and i agree also i started in a 5speed manual suzuki X-90 that i still have, and i learnt hot to drive that and pick lines in that to keep up with other people. who have lokkas sure i need to be pulled along and miss out on a few tracks but it's okay! i still love getting out in the bush with it. learning how to pick linesis important and now i feel i can pick my lines well! i swap out to the jeep in an auto and driving this just feel sooooo much simpler, love the idea now that you can just point and drive steer around what you don't wanna hit and your off...

i'm not sure what the issue is with new manuals, the newest Manual car i've ever driven was a 2010 model, and let's just say i dumped the clutch in second with no accelerator and it didn't stall. i made an effort at the next stop to actually stall out in 3rd. yeaaaaa no good so i'm thinking that the new model manuals are actually pretty technologically advanced that it illiminates allot of that 'stalling' issues??
Old 15-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a paddle stick in mine....can stay in any gear I choose,
Best of both worlds ?
Old 15-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paddle stick?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...98%3B470%3B265

the two paddles behind the steering wheel there?? so it's an auto but you can play a manual??
Old 15-03-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thnik its a personal choice. I prefer manuals coz of more control over the car, and more fun to drive. My jeep is a diesel manual and the way that its set up offroad is great. In 4wd mode going over rocks it just idles, just let out the clutch and steer. not so good for sand dunes when you need a bit of speed and momentum which you loose as soon as you step on the clutch to shift up. Annoying
Post New Thread  Reply