Test drive impressions... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2007
Renegado

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Test drive impressions...

They are finally here!

Well, I took a Manual Renegade Unlimited in Rescue green for a test drive today and overall was very impressed! Felt great, engine performed very well, much more refined than the TJ in terms of ride comfort, but still feels like a truck. Which is good in my opinion. Didn't get a chance to really open it up as it was very low on fuel (started to beep at me!) Will be going back for another test drive next week sometime.

Rear lic plate bracket is a bit impractical, won't last very long on the trail! Anyone know what the deal is with tow bars etc?

The front bumper dosen't look as bad as the photo's that I have seen on the net, It will be the first mod on mine but. I couldn't get over how great this Jeep looked! It really seems funny for me after over a year of looking at pictures, I actually see, sit in & drive it!

Well I'm sold, Been back and fourth to the dealership 5 times now! (obsessed) getting one for sure!... What does everyone else think?
Old 11-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lucky you. The Tamworth dealership..acted like the car didn't even exist up until two weeks ago. As usual... anyone interested in the vehicle .. knows a lot more about the car than the salesman. I'm very interested in getting one in two door trim and the availability of the Rubicon.. (finally)...meant I wouldn't have to fork out $10-$15 thousand dollars to do all the mods in Australia. Unfortunately...I was looking at getting the CRD... and of course.. it appears that's not available in the Rubicon configuration. There are 'rumours' that it may happen...but nothing I've heard confirmed and certainly no time frame. With regard the tow package or tow group as it is called by Jeep. .. it appears to have a a different rear bar altogether with a straight or flat section under the spare tire and this is supposed to be mated to a Dana 44 rear diff/axle and 4.01 final drive. Truly a step in the right direction. This of course is Jeep USA... what the importers do is anyones guess.. and my dealership certainly had no idea. I guess a lot won't need the extra low gearing ..sway bar disconnects etc of the Rubicon...but it does have the 4.01 final drive in standard trim. As the diesel isn't (yet) available in the Rubicon... I wondered if a Sport or Renegade... CRD on 32" tyres ..with the 4.01 final drive 'tow group' would be a good compromise... but... once again, my dealer had no idea ..but at least he admitted as much. So...if anyone out there is 'in the know' about the Australian version of the 'tow group'...I'd be interested to know.
Old 19-03-2007
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Had a good look at one over the weekend.....
The one thing that really stood out in a bad way for me was the centre hoop of the roll bar - it is too low.
Front the drivers seat It felt like it was looming right next to you.....but for an adult in the rear I though it was dangerous as in even the smallest fender bender an adult in the rear seat would wipe out their head on the sound bar.......

There were things I liked and things I didn't - but the roll bar was one thing I really did NOT like and I;m somewhat surprised it was built that way and even more surprised that it's passed safety regulations.....
Old 19-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders
Had a good look at one over the weekend.....
The one thing that really stood out in a bad way for me was the centre hoop of the roll bar - it is too low.
Front the drivers seat It felt like it was looming right next to you.....but for an adult in the rear I though it was dangerous as in even the smallest fender bender an adult in the rear seat would wipe out their head on the sound bar.......

There were things I liked and things I didn't - but the roll bar was one thing I really did NOT like and I;m somewhat surprised it was built that way and even more surprised that it's passed safety regulations.....
Have you ever thought of wearing seat belt in the back seat.
Old 19-03-2007
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Seat belt? Nah these trousers have elastic and I don't need no belt to keep my seat covered......

Sitting in the back of the JK, I but the belt on and imagined the effect of a sudden impact - even with a seatbelt I bet anyone over 5'9" is due a mighty head ache.

Aside from my saftey concern it just felt crowded IMHO....Got into my TJ and it seemed there was HEAPS more head room.....
Old 19-03-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B.
Lucky you. The Tamworth dealership..acted like the car didn't even exist up until two weeks ago. As usual... anyone interested in the vehicle .. knows a lot more about the car than the salesman.
Depending on the dealership of course!!
Old 19-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Test drive impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT_WESTER
Depending on the dealership of course!!
...Of course.. but as quite a few have already found out..the lack of information is of some concern. Yes...I'm impatient to even see one at this stage... so the absence of a car...plus the absence of detailed information is a little annoying to say the least. Now the Compass has arrived in the local car lot....but the Wrangler still conspicuous in it's absence ! I queried ARB on an aftermarket bar for the JK..but they said their test bed vehicle hadn't arrived either. ....Shame.
Post New Thread  Reply