JavaJeep Update - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2010
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

You sure those parts weren't found laying around from a QANTAS A380?
Old 05-12-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts

G'day Chilli,

No Boeing parts only , not a fan of Airbus
Old 05-12-2010
CrawlerStar

After trial fitting of various small projects like the new radiator and exhaust the J20 will come apart again , the chassis stripped back and painted , diffs , universal joints and bearings checked, body mounts turned up on the lathe from nylon etc.

We've put the aircraft windscreens on hold for the second build up , there's a lot of panel work and welding involved to install the aircraft windscreens and I may find a set which is a better fit . The Boeing 727 windscreens are too wide , the DC-10 side windows are the wrong shape , we currently have a set of McDonnel Douglas MD82 windscreens put aside which are the best fit for the J20 cab so far.

Color will be matt black with the lower body presses (wheel arches etc) in gloss black, maybe with a red pin stripe , it's going to look great

I'd still love to throw in a V8 or a turbo diesel but I want to get it back on the road, I have another J20 chassis I can do a more extreme build up with (V8 or turbo diesel and 6x6) which can be done will the J20 gets driven , once the new chassis is ready the J20 can come apart again but that will be at least 1 to 2 years away given my time constraints with my business

Last edited by javajeep; 05-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2010
CrawlerStar

The sheetmetal work and rust repairs are being done by Udin who's our on payroll welder , the guy is a whizz doing panel forming with a piece of H beam , hammers and dollies , if you look at this floor repair panel it was all done with basic tools and by hand including the replication of the indent in the floor panel
Old 31-12-2010
CrawlerStar

Default December 2010 Pics

Some more photos

Filled in the dash ventilation vents , the previous vents were a mess , I'll go for some aircraft air vents

Getting ready to modify the top and bottom tanks on the 6 core radiator (from a 5,000cc aircraft stationery ground power unit)

Starting to look like a J20 again

Some rust repairs on the brow smoothed off with filler

Last edited by javajeep; 31-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2011
CrawlerStar

Default 6 Core Radiator

Radiator top and bottom tanks are getting cut up to fit in vertically tomorrow.

The radiator is a 6 core unit , copper alloy tubes and fins , the only downside is it's heavy , I'm guessing 15 to 20kg , I'll put it on the scales tomorrow.

The radiator inlet and outlets have to be moved also , the top and bottom tanks are bolt on mild steel so it's going to be a straightforward job.

Does the 360/401 have the same radiator inlet and outlet positioning as the 258 ?

As an aside , I just noticed that the tires the radiator is sitting on are 14 ply A4E Skyhawk/F4 Phantom nose wheel tyres and in the background is a Mig 21 tire. The tires are new surplus but didn't make the cut for export sales as they have minor nicks and cuts so they ended up in the workshop. A little bit of aviation history in the workshop.