Engine transplant - BA/BF 4.0L into a TJ?? - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-07-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So if the Ford engine control and body control modules were separate, this would be an easier task? Wow, way to make things complicated FORD...

Is there a way to disable the body control section of the EEC computer? I'm no electrician/magician, so I wouldn't have a clue how. But there are people out there who are good at this sort of thing...

If you could run the EEC computer, disable the body control module, and retail the GM body control module, it'd be sweet.

Right...?
Old 29-07-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why do jeep owners always think they are reinventing the wheel, there are literally 100s of cars running both the aspirated and turbo versions of the motor in many different bodies it really isn't that difficult you don't need to keep the ford ecu but if you must they are easily flashed to ditch the things you want to ditch like smartlock etc.

Nigel if you think fords can't run aftermarket computers you may want to look at the 1000s of mustangs in the states with modulars, coyotes, and windsors running aftermarket computers. The quickest xr6t motors in aus are running aftermarket computers as well.

Last edited by bigredtj; 29-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 29-07-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never claimed to be reinventing any wheel. I only ever claimed to be presenting an idea that had merit, and that I hadn't seen presented/attempted before.

As for aftermarket computers, I guess you could fit something like Megasquirt to it, right? Presuming it could handle the Barra's features. How do aftermarket setups handle stuff like the independent cam timing? I thought that would be unique to the Ford PCM?

Last edited by Lachlan; 29-07-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 29-07-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fair enough. I don't claim to be a genius - I just want to know if the whole thing works! Please don't shoot me for it...! o.O

So it sounds a lot easier now. Standalone ECU for the engine, combined with the body control module from the Jeep.
Old 30-07-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I own both a Falcon and a jeep and evry time I look in the Falcons engine bay I too think that it would be a good swap. Just don't know that I would want to spend the money
Old 05-08-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Food for thought, if you used an aftermarket ECU, does that mean you can mix and match Ford/Chrysler sensors as long as you specify which is which? That would mean you could keep any Chrysler sensors pertaining to instrumentation, and keep Ford sensors that are necessary for engine function.

Fair enough about people saying the Ford engine isn't advanced; you're right, it isn't a particularly hi-tech engine. However, it makes the stock Jeep 4.0L look like a boat anchor. OHV vs 4-valve DOHC crossflow? I know what I'd take. I sent a message to Jeep Action suggesting the idea, so we'll see where it leads! (fingers crossed, everyone)

Last edited by Lachlan; 05-08-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As an current owner of a BF F6, which runs 11.10 at willowbank (my wifes car) and a FG F6 wich runs 10.86 at willowbank, a owner of a business who modifies these car for a living and has a passion for Jeeps and currently owns a XJ and TJ let me say this.

While not being the worlds most advanced engine, the Barra is not too shabby at all and compared to old 4.0 lt in the TJ its lightyears ahead.

You don't need an aftermarket ecu you can use the the factory ecu and turn the body control module off. You need to use factory loom and flash tuner to be able to tune.

It would be a great mod for someone who has the patience enough to do it.

Cheers Paul