Grand Willys Project - Page 207 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

xj diesels also have a remote flll tank for the radiator
Old 12-03-2019
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Awesome guys. Didn't know the diesels had them.
Would any change to the cooling system be needed when going from a non pressurised recovery tank?

As for the filler in the top hose not looking OEM, the Jeep Patriot actually has it stock.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 16-03-2019
LokRinger

Doesn't look like it but I have been getting more hours in every weeks since getting back to it this year. Instead of reading the paper every night, I just buy it once a week for the TV guide and then spend the extra 1/2hr in the workshop instead. That adds up over 6 days to 3 hours or another day for me! It is just the same news but different names anyway.

I'm am always trying new ways to improve technique. I found especially on low crown panels that I would over stretch after welding getting the waves in the metal. So for the other side I got the main distortion out by using a nylon mallet and hitting into a lead filled rubber dolly.

I only did final stretching, metal hammer on metal dolly, after the grinding to get the weld area perfectly flat. Came out a lot better and was much faster.

Next it was time to finish off the back part of the bonnet after the guards were extended at the grille.

Brochures left from dads house came in handy as a card template. Hard to believe but the left side of the template is actually perfectly straight and the right side at the cowl has had a curve cut into it.

Unfolded you can see how the left side from the picture before, bottom in this picture, is now straight. Last bit of metal from the rear wall was used to make the filler piece.

I folded over a flange on the cowl side of the piece and wheeled flat before putting the curve into it. Used nothing more than my knee to bend it over.

Checked with a straightedge to make sure it was flat and hammered over the bench from the inside out with the hammer I modified for this sort of work.

I want to extend the joggle in the bonnet all the way to the end where it fades out. Just marked both sides of it first.

Then clamped it at both ends the piece over some metal the same thickness as the deepest part of the joggle. Concentrated the bolster mainly at that end so it would fade to the other.

One tapered and fading joggle!

I made the piece wider than the bonnet was short so it would cover the weld line I had from when I welded in the Landcruiser louvres. I'd rather not have two weld lines so close together when possible as makes it quicker to finish off.

Another piece of the puzzle done and only the other back corner left to do on the skin. Lots more refining of course and you can see the first side is already looking better. If the low spots were loose, ie. you could lift them with a finger, I use the 5" shrinking disc from underneath to lift them. Tight ones I would use off dolly and lift a low spot next to them at the same time. Sometimes hammering them down into the rubber dolly worked well. A flipper and a dolly pushing up under low spots was needed in some situations. Whatever worked!

My web site:
Old 17-03-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Looking great GoJeep

That extra bead you rolled between the headlights really fills in the extra width nicely.
Old 17-03-2019
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENAMON View Post
Looking great GoJeep

That extra bead you rolled between the headlights really fills in the extra width nicely.
Glad you liked it.

My web site:
Old 21-03-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Marcus, on the topic of expansion tanks, have you checked out a KK CRD one? They have the fill cap built in like those other ones you've considered but also looks like it has a second overflow chamber. Still compact in size though.
I'm finding it hard to find images of one online but if you're keen to see one, I can take pics of the one in my KK.
Old 21-03-2019
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998 View Post
Marcus, on the topic of expansion tanks, have you checked out a KK CRD one? They have the fill cap built in like those other ones you've considered but also looks like it has a second overflow chamber. Still compact in size though.
I'm finding it hard to find images of one online but if you're keen to see one, I can take pics of the one in my KK.
Thanks for thinking of a possible solution. I just needed to know there was one out there so will dive into in more detail once the cab and radiator are mounted to the chassis. You might be able to see then if it might work in the available space which would be much appreciated.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply