2014 Petrol 60 month service - fluids? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default 2014 Petrol 60 month service - fluids?

Hi guys,

Wk is due for a service again, however I do very low kms(~5000kms/year) so my 2014 WK2 Pentastar only has 49,000kms on the clock. According to the services records it is due for it's 96,000kms/48 month service as the last service completed was the 84,000/42 month. In the service handbook it says this should include replacing spark plugs, and changing Auto and transfer case oils. Also according to the handbook the diff oils should of been changed at 36,000km intervals(guessing no one does this?). Going through the previous service reports no gear oils have ever been changed. And according to the handbook also the coolant should be changed at 60 months.

Question is what should I have done at this next service? 49,000kms seems awfully low to do any gear oil or coolant changes?
Old 01-04-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Other petrol owners will offer advice (I'm diesel), but IMO it's never a wise thing to skip auto, diff and transfer case oil changes. Do them as per the schedule, even more critical if you tow. In fact the same applies to all fluids, stick to the book for time or distance servicing specs.
Old 01-04-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

49,000k's sounds low for the spark plus, most these days do a lot more than that. Also with the pentastar motor, I think the plugs are down long access tubes, so if you do change them be very carefull the last thing you want is a damaged plug. Make sure the socket is fully home before turning.
With fully synthetic diff oils, they last a very long time, but it is well worth checking them for discolouration or contamination.
Coolant is usually time based change, as they turn acidic after an extended period.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by 08crd; 01-04-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

I would change fluids as per schedule. Dealers/FC info is not always correct .eg WK2s changed from 5w30 to 5w40 synthetic engine oil for Aust conditions..Ask any good auto trans shop ,they will tell you sealed for life auto trans are a disaster.I change diff and transfer case oils at 30000klms in both my WK2 and WH. Remember engine oils in both petrol/ diesels receive a lot of acidic(more so in diesels) blowby/burnt fuel gases etc.even in 5000klms. If coolant has lost/or loosing its color change that as well.
Finally short runs create moisture in most fluids,even the atf.

Last edited by bjm; 02-04-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Ask any good auto trans shop ,they will tell you sealed for life auto trans are a disaster.
Hi BJM,

Thanks for the input, a little confused about the above comment? Gearbox oil change at 96,000kms in the WK wouldn't be a sealed for life unit? Also disaster in the sense that they are a disaster to service?
Old 03-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Many owners are towing large vans with the WK2s .Dealers are still telling them no need to change atf fluid early.I would still ask a reputable auto trans shop what they think re low ks plus 5 year old atf in the auto trans. Most brands of atf are hygroscopic ie absorbs water.

Last edited by bjm; 03-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 25-04-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts

Sealed for life....
Lifespan = 5 years

Thus, change every oil possible.

I just went through this myself.
Post New Thread  Reply