JGC WK2 Laredo - diffs? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-02-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default JGC WK2 Laredo - diffs?

2013 JGC WK2 Laredo, no Quadralift, no Quadra drive. I'm not fully up with the Jeep system yet so hoping one of you can help me understand something here...

As some of you may have already read, my last car was a 2007 Prado V6, 5 spd auto. The car was constant 4wd with open diffs front and back, no limited slip, and when I pushed the 4wd button, or put it into low range, it locked the centre diff, locking the tailshafts together. But you still only had open diffs front and back.

Is my Jeep basically the same system? If I'm right it seems to me I only need add a lift kit (which the Prado had) and I would pretty much have the same capability to play with if I needed it. Only with a LOT more power and comfort.

I didn't buy the Jeep to match the Prado. The sorts of trips we did in that and previous Tojos, we're not too bothered about doing any more. I would rather have the comfort, power and economy now and drive the vehicle to suit. And have 3.5t towing for the future caravan.

But you know how it is...you see a track...wonder where that goes....poke your nose down just to have a quick look...looking for a place to turn around...end up in soft sand or mud...
Old 26-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts

Yes same, open diff's front and rear, put it in 4x4 low and it locks centre diff 50/50 power split front and rear, the traction control takes care of the rest
Old 26-02-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks Yoda. I took it for a quick spin along a reasonably rough track this morning, because I couldn't help myself. I was supposed to be working....

I found a reasonably high and sharp bank and tried just walking up it slowly at 45 degrees approach. I wanted to lift wheels and see what happens. I made much easier headway with the traction control off. Does that make sense, or is it just how I happened to drive it on this particular bit of ground?
Old 27-02-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts

You can't actually turn the TC off, that button on the dash just backs the TC off a bit, also when you put it in low 4 it adjusts the TC a bit anyway, remember you have to have some wheel spin for the TC to start working
Old 27-02-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

you can also look up http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/

sparky60
Old 28-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When you turn off ESC, you are turning off all traction control features expect EBLD which uses the brakes to emulate a limited slip diff. I believe Prado also has EBLD.

The remaining ESC features such as brake assist functions, roll mitigation, sway control, etc are not turned off.

I have the same setup as yours, and it hasnt had any problems so far. It has done some decent water holes too.
Old 01-03-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought you had to pay an extra ridiculous amount to get traction control in a Prado? It used to be a fair bit cheaper to stick front and rear lockers in them.
Post New Thread  Reply