Turbo not working? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes confused, easy done these days

Ok I think we are on the same page now.

Thanks tor the correct info, I was going totally in the wrong direction.
This is a pic of the swirl motor in place on the manifold (I think), sits almost under the turbo that's why the turbo is removed to replace it

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...ml#post5240765
Old 19-05-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

If the arm is removed between the actuator and turbo you should be able to manually move the turbos sliding nozzle, if not it is siezed.
Btw, do this when cold of course!
Old 20-05-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So if your swirl motor fails and you get the error code, would it not be possible to disconnect the linkage between motor and butterfly arm, force the butterflies into the open position and fix the butterfly arm in place? Would the swirl motor now it has no resistance to operating as it is disconnected simply just go on moving as it sees fit to "open and close" once you erase the code? Or does it have another sensor on it's position?

This is pure speculation on my part. Feel free to flame

Those pics on Jeep Forum have given me a whole new understanding of this problem. My Commander has no such issues yet touch wood, but if it does I want to know how i can best get around it.
Old 20-05-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My understanding is that in its unpowered state the butterfly's are fully open, so buy unplugging the electrical connection to the swirl motor and doing the resistor mod it cant fail as such.

Now I know where the bloody thing is & what it does I will be doing it soon.
Old 20-05-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonz View Post
So if your swirl motor fails and you get the error code, would it not be possible to disconnect the linkage between motor and butterfly arm, force the butterflies into the open position and fix the butterfly arm in place? Would the swirl motor now it has no resistance to operating as it is disconnected simply just go on moving as it sees fit to "open and close" once you erase the code? Or does it have another sensor on it's position?

This is pure speculation on my part. Feel free to flame

Those pics on Jeep Forum have given me a whole new understanding of this problem. My Commander has no such issues yet touch wood, but if it does I want to know how i can best get around it.
The problemn is not always the swirl flaps themselves although in some Mercs the swirl flaps are plastic and do disintegrate. My 2.7 had steel flaps. The main issue is the motor itself, hence why you do the resistor mod. No need to disconnect the motor from the flaps as the motor is spring loaded to rest in the fully open position and activates against the spring pressure to work. Hence when disconnected electrically it defaults nicely for you in the fully open position and the spring tension is more than strong enough to hold the flaps there.
Old 22-05-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
There is a mod that disables the swirl motor but I don't know if it will work after it fails.
Have a read here
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/eur...pennies-5.html
I read through this whole thread, it seems that a 4K7 resistor/resistor wire attached to two pins on the swirl motor plug fools the ECU into thinking the swirl motor is connected and working. Its a $2 fix apparently. Theres a link to the JeepForum within the thread to a clever yank who' s made a plug you just fit and forget - $38 shipped if he has any left (he made 200).

From what i could gather it seems that if your swirl motor fails and the butterflys are in the open position (they default to open as they are spring loaded - but could be gummed up) you fit the resistor and clear the code and that should be the last you hear of the problem. One guy says he just got another swirl motor and plugged it in remotely and left the bust one in there and no more probs!
Old 22-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

You need to get a code reader on to see what the DTC is. If its a swirl motor
here is my step by step swirl motor fix, if you can not get it replaced for free. You just have to check that your Swirl Motor flaps are in the open position ie the normal power off position

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...6&postcount=62
Post New Thread  Reply