Australian Army Willys/Jeep Trailer - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-03-2016
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chili View Post
Great work, just one question: Why use checker-plate, was it Tyvokka's preference, or cost related etc.?

Only asking as I know after having two general use trailers (tip runs etc.) with checker-plate floors I will never buy another. When I bought my current tilt trailer I made sure it was flat sheet, too much crap gets caught in the checker pattern, eventually causing corrosion, plus flat sheet is so much easier to keep clean.

Cheers
FC.
If used for that purpose they are a pain as the shovel keeps getting caught too. But as Sal has already stated, it wont be used for that and be a bit hard without a drop down tailgate anyway. Will be used as a camper only and the paint will last longer if something slides around as will only mark the tops of the checker plate. Will help stop things from moving in the first place too than the smooth.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 13-03-2016
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
Wow man. You are a ledgend. And off to good home. Then your Jeep ?
Yes my friend. Back to the GrandWillys next month.

My web site:
Old 08-04-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The suspense is building..... getting excited to see the progress and Marcus's incredible work, focus and attention to detail.
Old 09-04-2016
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
The suspense is building..... getting excited to see the progress and Marcus's incredible work, focus and attention to detail.
Been away but back to it now.

The two original drain plugs have been refitted and chains for the plugs as well so they cannot be lost.

I sprayed the joint between the floor and the sides even though the underside of the floor and what it sits on had already been done. I then ran sealant all the way around to keep water from getting in.

Zinc coated it all so it wont rust until it gets its top coat. Maybe some bed liner? I like the Upol Raptor liner myself and thinking of buying a kit to do the underside of the Willys.

There was a damage section of the rail so cut it out. Made a repair piece from some tubing and shaped it to suit on a T dolly.

Welded in.

Finished off. The two front corners next. Also notice I cleaned up the joint at the bottom of the front panel where the angle iron is welded on. Most of the area behind it was replace when I repaired it from the inside but the little section near the top I sprayed Ranex rust converter into the joint and let it soak. It is just phosphoric acid. Used this on the joints between the mud guard and the sides too and other places.

I looked to see if I had any bent tubing to suit the corners and took this from the front of my wheel burrow! Otherwise I would have made a wooden form and hammered some metal over that.

Cut two sections from it and cut part the the inner curve out. Then started to flattened the top to suit.

Tightened the radius in my shrinker but still need it a bit tighter in the middle. So a wedge cut and then pulled tighter before welding it up again fixed that.

Fitting the repair piece in place.

Both sides done. I also finished off the bottom joint by spraying it with etch primer as cannot not coat it with the zinc coating. Ran sealant over the joint after that to stop water getting in.

The inspector came to make sure it was up to standard!

The panel had rusted out behind this solid brass tag because water got trapped behind it. They were just brazed on in the corners. So I carefully cut out the rusted metal behind it leaving the brazed corners intact where fortunately there was no rust. Welded in a new piece and ran sealant around it so it doesn't happen again. Ran the wire wheel over it and looks pretty cool like this. A darker background would make it stand out even more.

My web site:
Old 10-04-2016
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Top notch mate!

If the inspector's happy, so am I.

I do have some Durabak liner, prolly line the whole thing up.

I haven't decided on the final colour yet. At the moment it will be black to suit the Jeeps but may paint it "Rust Brown" including the Grand.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 10-04-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2016
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Top notch mate!

If the inspector's happy, so am I.

I do have some Durabak liner, prolly line the whole thing up.

I haven't decided on the final colour yet. At the moment it will be black to suit the Jeeps but may paint it "Rust Brown" including the Grand.
I liked a stain olive green that I saw at Bunnings in the Kill Rust range I think it was. Gives the army flavour. Could use some TJ or JK taillights on it too. Saw one at the military meet with model A taillights that fitted the era well too. Plenty of room to personalise it yourself.

My web site:
Old 11-04-2016
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
I liked a stain olive green that I saw at Bunnings in the Kill Rust range I think it was. Gives the army flavour. Could use some TJ or JK taillights on it too. Saw one at the military meet with model A taillights that fitted the era well too. Plenty of room to personalise it yourself.
Am thinking of TJ lights tbh. The Olive Kill Rust will work for now until I decide which way I want to go...choices..choices..
Post New Thread  Reply