Roof light switch HELP - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-05-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Roof light switch HELP

Hey all hope you are all going well under the current restrictions.

Been playing with the toy while stuck at home.

Previous owner changed the original grey trims over for the silver with the roof light switch installed.

No wiring to the back of it.
Been through the forums and got a heap of wiring diagrams and have managed to get a light bar to work correctly of the switch, but have also seen that there is a light in the cluster that can also be illuminated when the light is on.

US forums all state the you connect the violet wire from the switch to Pin 19 on the BCM.
Tried this already and the high beam light comes on instead.

My KJ is a limited 2002 and there was no extra wiring for the roof lights in the loom had to make my own.

Is there a chance the my gauges dont have this indicator light connected or is it a different pin foe Aussie cars, found a US owners manual because l didnt have one and alot of the fuse numbers dont match up either.

Any clues anybody?

Thanks
Old 18-05-2020
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

There are two body control connectors shown in the FSM. C1 26-way and C2 22-way.

There is no wire in C1 pin 19 in 2002. I don't know when the change was made as I only looked at 2006 where that pin is wired and labeled light bar switch sense (Renegade).
Old 18-05-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the response,
Tried that already, my plug has actually got 3 pins missing.
18, 19 and l think 22

Also my 2002 KJ didnt have the plug behind the switch it was added latter, also no plug in the car loom so had to source a plug from the local wrecking yard from a 2003-04 which which had a plug behind a blanking plate.

Was roof light an option in 2002?

I am finding the Mopar kit for roof lights and that has its own LED bulb that you drill into the cluster surround
Old 18-05-2020
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

Light bar indicator lamp is only showing in the 03-on FSMs so looks like it wasn't an option in 02, and you'd have to add an indicator LED as shown in the install instructions.

Pins 18, 19 and 22 of the C1 connector are unused in O2 so what you see is correct.

The internal connections in the switch aren't shown in the FSMs. I'd check the output from pin 8 of the switch. If that has 12V when the lights are on you'd either need a 12V LED or a standard LED with suitable resistor. As an alternative use the output from pin 3 to the lamps to also power the LED. The positive lead of the LED would go to the switch and the other lead would just need a ground.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 18-05-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply