Grand Willys Project - Page 177 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2016
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMEMUD View Post
Great attention to detail as always, inspiring stuff. One question I have is regards to seatbelt anchor point on B pillar, I am working on a "52 ute ATM and looking at the B pillar trying to work out how to go about mounting three point seatbelt anchor point with mounting plate in the B pillar some how. As a complete amateur at this sort of stuff it is a bit of a head scratcher for me.
Regards Ross
Not easy working out even the correct position, let along getting the right info on materials.
This gives a guide to where it should be.
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2006L02680

These might give a few pointers as well.
http://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/wp-c...e-Up%20(3).pdf

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...-seatbelts.pdf

Put a search in for, http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...tionsPart5.pdf.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 25-07-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 27-07-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

Thanks Marcus, handy sites.
Regards Ross
Old 30-07-2016
LokRinger

Really enjoyed this week as was good to see it taking more shape.

Time to try out the upper part of the wall to make sure they are exactly at the same height as each other. Had to take 2 millimeters out of the right side to get it sitting perfectly level across the top of the window.

Strangely both sides of the lower part of the window angled up in the middle? To get it parallel with the top, I shrunk both sides at the corner of the bottom edge to pull it down. Then had to retrim the bottom edge.

I have the level hard against the edge of the door to make sure the door opening stays square to the door pillar. The back of the door is perfectly straight so can do this.

Tacked and ready to grind down the tack welds flush, inside and out, so I can run over them as I tig weld. If I don't do that I can feel the hard spots left during planishing, leaving uneven stretch.

The tig weld pulled hard when shrinking during cooling, but easily fixed by plashing to stretch the weld back out again.

Had a section marked in chalk where it was still pulled in a bit.

Hammering from the inside out against this steel block got all but a section above the weld area flush.

Used the shrinking disc on the inside along with compressed air to cool it to push the low spot outwards.

Nice and flat right across now.

As I was tacking the other side, this end lifted even after plashing the tacks as I went along. So stopped to rectify it.

Fully tig welded the section tacked and then planished only the area around the side to raise that part which brought this end down back to perfect.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 14-08-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 31-07-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Blown away as usual. Sitting here showing the father in law this latest episode on my phone and he is jumping in from his computer later to watch the whole series

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 31-07-2016
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Blown away as usual. Sitting here showing the father in law this latest episode on my phone and he is jumping in from his computer later to watch the whole series

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ha ha, good to hear more of the family getting involved.

My web site:
Old 06-08-2016
LokRinger

Finished the other side off so getting there.

Have to make the pieces in between now. The curves outside the window frame are different to the ones on the inside. Two pieces make up the bottom and four pieces for the top.

One of the stake dollies I made fits quite well so will use this to form the outer window curve.

Just marked where I wanted the curve to start and used a lead working bat to quickly form the bend. Leaves no hammer marks and less than 2 minutes work. I picked this one up last year in England at an old hardware store that was closing down.

Quick fold at the top and tacked into place. Will trim the excess later at the top once the inside flange is attached.

Tig welded into place.

Inside window flange taking shape. Bottom flange just needs to be trimmed off to length.

My wife bought me this old Australian made spot welder as a gift. Thinks I will get plenty of use out of it when I build her a custom car next! Thing weigh a ton but works really well. Came from a business that was closing down making stretched funeral cars!

Feels like cheating as does it so quick and easy. No timer so have to keep a close eye on it as will burn holes right through both layers otherwise!

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 14-08-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Nice work as always Marcus, why am I not surprised that your camera work gets the same exceptional level of detail as your fabrication skills.. I appreciated the wall hung chromed grill captured perfectly centred and aligned in the gap above the rear window in one of the above photos...its the little things