Jeep Engines Australia, A company that actually gives a toss!! Thanks - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Positive Testimonials & feedback
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 16-06-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

last time i had my box out bout 2 months ago i checked the welch plug while i was there it is coming out again in the next week or two so i will have a look from wht i can remember it just looked like a normal welch plug
Old 16-06-2010
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This is apparently from Jason's motor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	40621  

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 16-06-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats it Jimmy....

I think heat tab is more a specific name but im not sure. Speak to Zane he should know what there called.
Old 16-06-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just PM'ed this to "The Spambulance" but I thought it was good knowledge to know.

It's a heat tab rather than a heat seal (all means the same really).

They do not come standard on the engine from the original factory stage but any engine that has been rebuilt or reconditioned will usually have 2 heat tabs placed on the engine. It's really for warranty purposes and visual indication:

When an engine reaches the temperature of the heat tab that is installed, the centre will melt out.

The 2 temperature ranges within the tabs are:
  • High Temp 121-124˚C (250-255˚F)
  • Low Temp 107-110˚C (225-230˚F)
1 x at the back of the head on the welsh (frost) plug
1 x at the back of the block on the welsh (frost) plug

In this case both high temp tabs had melted but apart from slight gasket damage the engine was fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 16-06-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So a couple of gaskets equal a fried boat anchor???
Old 16-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Smashed, it was great to speak with you today and I think we both learnt of things we were unaware of until now.

Yes, we gave ExtremeTJ his engines birth cert when he dropped his engine off for the rejuvenation process.

It has the all of the information from the simulator test:

1. Compression
2. Oil Pressure
3. Oil Flow
4. The engines unique serial number we stamp inside the block for warranty purposes. (This is not the engine number given to GOVT authorities)
5. Custom build notes in this case, ported head and mid range cam.
6. We also keep the parts build list but we tend not to give them out unless very special circumstances, as we have our family recipes to protect and do not like to divulge the parts numbers or part sources as it took 4 years of hard work to source the desired quality, as you can appreciate.

I hope this clears it up and if we can help you with any information or general advice please do not hesitate to call or contact us in the future.
Old 16-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good point Rusty, but no not always the case of a fried anchor.

In most cases especially with the cast iron cylinder head, the engine will be fine as long as the engine did not over heat for a long period of time and was not under extreme load.

If only you could see the return engines that we see, when people see the gauge or check engine light on and just keep driving it is a disaster. Our advice stop driving!

One engine we remanufactured recently had not been serviced for 40K, in an honest statement from the owner. Even then they kept driving the car until it stopped/seized.

The return or exchange engine was in such a bad state we had to simply throw it away as there was nothing to salvage, not even a crank or cam.

In Extreme TJ's case the engine is already out of the vehicle so he was wise to have it done right from the start. It's an inexpensive insurance policy really as you do not know the engines past.

Hope this helps.

PS: If you want to see some examples of what we see try these out for size:

The damage to the pistons below was caused from detonation.

It can be a common problem in the stroked 4.7L or higher if the air / fuel mix is not right, its why we now recommend a larger injector and if possible throttle body.

Detonation is caused when the combustion burn exceeds the normal combustion temperature of 3,000 degrees. There are many reasons for detonation and I hope the pictures will explain it well enough.

The engine was self installed by the owner but there was no scan tool used to check the air / fuel mixture. This engine was 4 weeks old and still in the running in period (1000 KM's or less).

These pictures show how quickly it can happen and the extreme damage that can be done it such a short space of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredtj View Post
So a couple of gaskets equal a fried boat anchor???

Last edited by jeepedup2008; 16-06-2010 at 10:16 PM.