Daughters WG 4.7 eating coolant. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2022
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Daughters WG 4.7 leaking coolant and small fixes

One of my Kids decided that it was time to move from a softroader to a 4x4 and wanted something rugged but capable and after scaring me by looking at Prado and landcruisers, yes even Hiluxes, Pajeros etc I suggested a Grand Cherokee and after looking at the 1999 to 2010 offerings made a solid IMO choice with an older WG 4.7.
We live in Gippsland, She does a lot of miles sometimes for work and likes camping and fishing but the seats and layout of the WG grabbed her hard.

I didnt get a chance to check this thing out and as a Melbourne dealer car one trip was all she could make so when the car was RWC'd the car was delivered.

Off the truck it had a low coolant light, I added a lt of green coolant, noted the new rad cap and took it to BP for a drink after dropping my kid off at school, chucked the battery on a 6 stage charge just in case (Coz Caryard) and then drove it back to the BP to check and remedy the tyre pressures which were a bit wonky and later that arvo after checking all fluids Oldest Daughter came and took possession of the thing....

2 weeks later is has issues but still drives nice.

it drinks about a litre of coolant every few hundred kays
Drivers seat bum warmer has quit working
Cruise control doesnt work
It has a creaky groany HVAC flap as the Vac leaks down after the thing is shut off.....

So I just got the Jeep back this arvo and im going to start looking for issues and fitting some goodies I got from Rockauto (I buy a lot of stuff from them) mainly cosmetic like Wiper blades, Coolant bottle cap, New Non locking fuel cap, Brand new rear wiper arm coz the park plastic arm is broken.

I currently have it siting on a coreflute sheet to check for coolant leaks, I havent ordered plugs, filters yet but are Head gaskets an issue? If so which side? and Who's a Good Jeep workshop in Gippsland between Leongatha and Traralgon.

Any suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1581.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	79809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1582.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	79810   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1583.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	79811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1580.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	79812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1579.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	79813  

Last edited by tony66au; 26-07-2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Title fix to change issues found
Old 24-07-2022
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

A few more details.....

Was a country car (Albury then Frankston)
Has towed a Van before
Uses more fuel than my plaything Range Rover carby classic, 15.3 per 100 95 octane Non ethanol fuel.
Has a slight front diff noise under load.
Immaculate interior.

Tony
Old 24-07-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

That is getting highish km’s. The head gaskets are not problematic but like most engines they can fail. I would try a product called Silvo-seal it will cure most gasket seepage. Check the brake light bulbs and switch for the cruise control fault.
The front diffs on WG’s are notorious for pinion bearing failures. The Dana 30 is a little lite for full time 4wd.
The fuel consumption is about rite for general driving duties will improve on the hwy, they do weigh about 2 tones.
Old 24-07-2022
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
That is getting highish km’s. The head gaskets are not problematic but like most engines they can fail. I would try a product called Silvo-seal it will cure most gasket seepage. Check the brake light bulbs and switch for the cruise control fault.
The front diffs on WG’s are notorious for pinion bearing failures. The Dana 30 is a little lite for full time 4wd.
The fuel consumption is about rite for general driving duties will improve on the hwy, they do weigh about 2 tones.
Id hope they (Brake lights) were good considering the thing just had a Roady done but Yup I'll check.
The CC lights up on the Dash fine, just no engagement but I'll double check.

I should check and replace fluids on the Diffs anyway and check for stripper glitter in the oil.

That mileage IS Hwy Miles lol, Im in Gippsland so its all 100 or 80 Kph..
Might just order plugs and filters and give it a Birthday and see if I can drop it a bit, My Carby Rangie uses less than that lol

Appreciate the advice.
Old 24-07-2022
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Oh yeah, YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Its a leak not a weeping head gasket.

The old Coreflute drip tray tell tale trick!

The pic just shows the passenger side drips but theres 3 or 4 in a line left to right so im assuming its radiator related which I suspect will be a bugger of a job looking at where its situated......

Old 24-07-2022
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Next question is are the headlights the same units as in the US models, I found that often Parabolic style headlamp units are not "Handed" IE Right hand drive same as left hand drive.

I can get complete units from Rockauto for around $100 each but wondering if anyone has had experience with this before I pull the trigger and add them to the next order.

Need to replace a tail light as well as the drivers side unit is cracked and the girl is a bit ******** about this sort of thing.
Old 25-07-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

LHD headlights are focused for the RH travel side of the road as RHD LIGHTS are similar focused for the travel lanes on the LH side
Post New Thread  Reply