Self help time for slow diesel fill problem - Page 67 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-12-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

IMO the reason some bowsers are better then others is because of the pressure the fuel is pumped at.
Quote:
Fuel foaming -- the fuel's velocity increases as it passes around the shutoff device within the nozzle. Velocity goes up, pressure goes down, fuel cavitates, foam is formed.
The higher the supply pressure to the nozzle, the greater the velocity increase.
Try resting the nozzle on the filler neck and then tilting it upwards as you throttle the fuel flow into the filler neck. Usually the foam will decrease until a clear stream is exiting the nozzle. Where the fuel pressure to the nozzle is pretty high, this technique has minimal affect.
explanation -How does a gas pump know to shut itself off? http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...hut-itself-off

Description: 1-Fuel flow. 2-Spout. 3-Vacuum tube. 4-Sensing hole. 5-Venturi ring. 6-Diaphragm. 7-Vacuum chamber. 8-Auto shut-off. 9-Hold open latch

I used to think that air was deliberately injected into the fuel but I can't find any evidence to support this. (had to repair an air compressor at a servo once & they said it was needed for the fuel pumps to work )
Old 13-12-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

And a Quick note:

Please don't fill your tanks to the lip "Brimming" as its referred to. Brimmed tanks can spill fuel onto the road (through breathers, fuel caps etc.) & this can be deadly to the motorcyclists among us, diesel more so then petrol as diesel doesn't evaporate.

Thankyou
Old 13-12-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Details a couple posts back

Some photos of the vent line and the transfer pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449988588523.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	72944   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449988629843.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	72947   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449988653818.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	72949  

Last edited by sandman1977; 16-12-2015 at 01:53 AM.
Old 20-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile frothing diesel.

If having trouble filling up with diesel,replace filler filter,undo indicator/stop light behind filler cap,you will see small black plastic filter,when cut open,found paper filter,like paper air filter,it was covered in what looked a bit like varnish,which could have been from diesel fumes,which stopped it from breathing,bit tight to get out, cost $14.00 from Jeep parts,no more frustration while filling up,hope this helps.
Old 17-06-2017
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2011 JK CRD and have been experiencing this frustrating issue for a long time now.. thought i would use google and landed here. I always thought it was the bowser, each company looks to use different bowsers.. but during my frustrations this morning i pulled the nozzle almost out of the fill tube and let it just flow at a slow rate into the filler and i noticed it was foaming and bubbling back up the filler. Some 15 minutes later i had managed to get 40 litres in Off to the dealership i think.
Old 17-06-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

There is a TSB of 2009 that upgrades a few tubes & vent filter that fixed the issue on my 2008. Though I can't get it yours is 2011...
Old 17-06-2017
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah its a strange one.. i will post what the issue was/fix is after it goes into get a service.

As a seperate issue.. i noticed some people in here were posting that they could fit a fast flow diesel pump into their crd filler... i tried this once, all be it by mistake, and it was so fat no matter of forcing was going to get that big boy into my fuel filler. Even if one was to remove that magic tab, the diameter of the pump was such that it was not going to come even close to fitting.. hrmmm...

Last edited by smk_jk; 17-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply