XJ driveshaft lenth question. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-03-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default XJ driveshaft lenth question.

Hey all. About a month and a bit ago I changed my dinted rear driveshaft with one off another forum member. Now I did this in thinking my vibrations would be gone but they seemed to have worsened.... I am worried that there isnt enough teeth making contact on the yoke to the TC. The new shaft is an inch shorter and has less yoke with a chamfered edge where the TCASE cant get into, wheras my old shaft was all yoke and an inch longer.

new short shaft

old longer shaft

new yoke

old yoke

Any advice appreciated. Have an NP242 tcase, dana 35 and is a 95 sport 4.0l
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180328_162534.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	77288   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180328_163956.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	77289  
Old 28-03-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

these seem like the two....

https://www.quadratec.com/products/916591_30.htm original shaft

new shorter shaft

https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada...c-transmission
Old 28-03-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

is the shaft a different length or are the yokes different could you swap to get correct length or are you back to square 1 bummer hope you can sort it out
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 28-03-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
is the shaft a different length or are the yokes different could you swap to get correct length or are you back to square 1 bummer hope you can sort it out
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
After contacting a bloke wrecking an xj there are wet and dry yoke ends on the transfer case. IE ones where you see the rubber boot (not my car) and ones without the boot and longer output end on the transfer case. Lucky I didn't put new unis in this one..
Old 02-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Okay so update, will be picking up a shaft and using my old yoke on it, it's a diesel shaft, about 5-10mm longer than my original one so will be fine. The slip yoke always had a 20-25mm buffer from the wear marks on it so it'll be fine by the looks of it. Shouldn't affect my pinion angles too much at stock height and won't hurt when I lift it either. Hopefully.... Any input? Cheers.
Old 02-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

If your planning on a lift, you could get a slip yoke eliminator and then fit a front drive shaft in the rear. I have an Np242 + D35 1995 and thats the set up i am running. You can drive the car without a rear shaft in if you need too, as the yolk is permanently attached to the transfer case. I cut and drilled the output shaft while the XJ was running in gear..it acts like its on a lathe.

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Cheers,
Old 02-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
If your planning on a lift, you could get a slip yoke eliminator and then fit a front drive shaft in the rear. I have an Np242 + D35 1995 and thats the set up i am running. You can drive the car without a rear shaft in if you need too, as the yolk is permanently attached to the transfer case. I cut and drilled the output shaft while the XJ was running in gear..it acts like its on a lathe.

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Cheers,
Thanks mate. Unfortunately money is of the upmost importance at the moment, and I can't afford to go SYE. I was doing some reading last night and that unused inch of travel on the slip yoke is there to clear the U joint yoke on the other side. I'm beginning to question if the bigger shaft will even fit as the U joint mightn't get past the yoke on the diff. I'm potentially considering trying to get the old slightly dented shaft rebalanced (it's not a big dent).
Post New Thread  Reply