2.7 CRD Fuel Consumption - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 280 Times in 224 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default 2.7 CRD Fuel Consumption

I'm interested in knowing what fuel consumption people are getting from their WG diesels. It would also be good to know things like tyres fitted etc.

I'm getting around 12.5 to 13 litres / 100km around town or 10.5 to 11 on the highway.

Mine is relatively stock, but I suspect it might have Sprinter fuel mapping (according to a local expert). It blows a little black smoke at full noise & over 3500RPM, otherwise clean. Injectors replaced 10,000km ago. EGR is active. Tyres are WildPeak 245/70R17. Speedo has been tweaked to match the bigger tyres.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 29-12-2019
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I'm running 245/65/17 tyres (original 235/65/17) which makes the speedo accurate which appears to make the computer results accurate.

I've just towed a 6x4 trailer with stuffed bearing(s) from Sydney to Brisbane and saw 10.9l/100, if I'm not towing and drive sesnibly I can see anywhere from 9-10 on the highway and usually around 11.8 in traffic around Sydney.

Jason
Old 30-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Best i have got was 8.37 /100km on highway good weather no speeding etc. Long trip 3000km recently got 8.9/100km hot weather 110kph ,some dirt roads also. Tyres 245/75 R16 usually pumped up to 36psi,sometimes 40 psi, off road easy 30 or lower. EGR delete for 45k plus now,also flaps disabled (still have not had time to install new inlet manifold).All from fuel dockets and CRD odometer. Usual numbers are 9 /100 and up to 10/100.
Did have trouble with doggy thermostats making motor run cold,below 90 deg C. Have about 40mm lift and a 42inch kangaroo blinding light bar on the roof.Also get 16+/100 towing 2.5 ton Jayco van(also lifted). Cold thermostats gave noticeable less economy.As a side note every time i change the oil it is a bit less dirty than last time.If i get it on my hands it just wipes off,no staining and scrubbing.Mates following say it never blows smoke now,i could see smoke in the mirrors before EGR and flaps delete.
Old 30-12-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks. Keep them coming.

Mine usually runs with coolant temperature around mid seventies, creeping up into the low eighties on hot days or climbing hills. Maybe a new thermostat might help?

Old 30-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
Thanks. Keep them coming.

Mine usually runs with coolant temperature around mid seventies, creeping up into the low eighties on hot days or climbing hills. Maybe a new thermostat might help?

When i got my CRD it had a theromstat that ran cold. I ebayed a new one ,,,100 to110 bucks,,(think it was 87deg C), and all good for a good while. then slowlyit just ran colder and colder(heater would hardly work at all up in the hills).So i pulled it out and it seems the spring goes weak and lets it leak into the radiator,so it never gets properly hot unless hot day etc.So i butchered an old one.Got a regular thermostat (91deg C) and cut the disc part till it was 42mm dia, then put it into the jeep housing and CAREFULLY peened the housing with a center punch so the disc held in nice and tight and no leaking(test by blowing air by mouth through hose outlet). SO now heater works ,engine gets to operating temp in about 5km,and fuel economy is back to what it was.This butchered thermo doesnt close bypass in the head off.Now this my be a problem area,but i have been having great success so far..towing 2.5 ton van into very strong head wind at 100kph in 40+deg. for a long distance with temp gauge just touching 98to100 on hills and AC going ..
Old 30-12-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

JeanLuke , temps you quoted are about what mine were when thermo was too cold...was going to just buy a new standard one again but 91deg C job from the usuall shops was quoted 200 to 250 bucks!!!??Couldnt find the hotter job on ebay so did the butcher job for 16 bucks. I am interested in what economy others are getting,,,i should add that as soon as i start passing all the Prados Patrols etc on the highway it drops back to 9 or10 (might be why Bodgie gets 9 or 10 also LOL)
Old 30-12-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

I suspect my driving might be part of the equation.

This morning, I lined up beside a Ranger with a "BiTurbo" badge on it. To my surprise, in the 0-80 kmh run I was about half a car length ahead. He looked surprised also. We did it again at the next set of lights for the same outcome. I wonder if my "Vision Series" might have the 2.7 CRD High Output version - same as the "Black Pearl" edition. The only clues are a 200kmh speedo and "Customer Preferred Package 27G" on the build sheet.

Anyhow, keep the fuel readings coming please.
Post New Thread  Reply