Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 117 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This is the test procedure for C1438 (copy & paste), very time consuming.

C1438-TRANSFER CASE DIFFERENTIAL CLUTCH WORN

(For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information)

When Monitored:

The ignition on, engine running. No Under/Overvoltage, and/or encoder error DTCs present. When shifted into 4-Low or in 4-high.

Set Condition:

The Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) is unable to fully lock the T-Case (in Either High or Low) because the T-Case clutch is worn.

Possible Causes

(K504) DRIVETRAIN 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(T313) MODE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K594) DRIVETRAIN SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
TRANSFER CASE CLUTCH
FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE (FDCM)

1.DTC IS ACTIVE

NOTE: Diagnose and repair any system voltage or Transfer Case related DTCs in the FDCM before continuing with this test.

1. Ignition on, engine running.

2. With the scan tool, clear stored DTCs.

3. Test drive the vehicle.

4. During the test drive, move the Transfer Case Selector Switch to each position several times in accordance with the Service Information.

5. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Does this DTC reset?

Yes

Go To 2

No

Go To 7

2.TRANSFER CASE POSITION SENSOR VOLTAGE

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.

2. Disconnect the Transfer Case Motor harness connector.

3. Connect a jumper wire between the (T313) Mode Sensor Signal circuit and the (K594) Drivetrain Sensor Return circuit.

4. Ignition on, engine running.

5. With the scan tool, read the T-Case Position Sensor voltage.

6. The displayed voltage should be approximately 0.0 volts with the jumper wire in place.

Does the voltage display as described?

Yes

Replace the Transfer Case Clutch in accordance with the Service Information.

Perform the TRANSFER CASE VERIFICATION (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Go To 3

3.TRANSFER CASE POSITION SENSOR VOLTAGE

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.

2. Connect a jumper wire between the (T313) Mode Sensor Signal circuit and the (K504) Drivetrain 5 Volt Supply circuit in the Transfer Case Motor harness connector.

3. Ignition on, engine running.

4. With the scan tool, monitor the T-Case Position Sensor voltage in the FDCM.

Is the voltage between 4.8 volts and 5.2 volts?

Yes

Replace or Repair the Transfer Case Clutch in accordance with the Service Information.

Perform the TRANSFER CASE VERIFICATION (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Go To 4

4.(K504) DRIVETRAIN 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position

2. Disconnect the Final Drive Control Module C2 harness connector.

3. Measure the resistance of the (K504) Drivetrain 5 Volt Supply circuit between the Transfer Case Motor harness connector and the Final Drive Control Module C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

Yes

Repair the high resistance in the (K504) Drivetrain 5 Volt Supply circuit.

Perform the TRANSFER CASE VERIFICATION (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

Go To 5

5.(T313) MODE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position

2. Disconnect the Final Drive Control Module C2 harness connector.

3. Measure the resistance of the (T313) Mode Sensor Signal circuit between the Transfer Case Motor harness connector and the Final Drive Control Module C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

Yes

Repair the high resistance in the (T313) Mode Sensor Signal circuit.

Perform the TRANSFER CASE VERIFICATION (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

Go To 6

6.(K594) DRIVETRAIN SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE

1. Measure the resistance of the (K594) Drivetrain Sensor Return circuit between the Transfer Case Motor harness connector and the Final Drive Control Module C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

Replace the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) in accordance with the Service Information.

No

Repair the high resistance in the (K594) Drivetrain Sensor Return circuit.

7.INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.

2. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors.

3. While monitoring the scan tool data relative to this circuit, wiggle test the wiring and connectors.

4. Look for the data to change or for the DTC to reset during the wiggle test.

Were any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Test complete.
Old 11-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks James
When I asked for the work sheets of the transfer case repair they said it was not their policy to give them. I said I had a right to records of what has happened to my car but to no avail. I suspect they couldn't fix the problem, made a temp fix and hoped it wouldn't recur until after my warranty had run out. In any event they have an obligation under Australian statutory warranty to make good their repair of 2014. The transfer case oil has not been changed in the two services since their repair.

Last edited by ChrisCh; 11-02-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Oops should have read Clarky's post before putting my 2 cents worth in...Anyway Jeep's sales have taken a dive something like 17% recently due to reports of unreliability.. Wonder why??. This issue of "Service 4WD System" persists and has for several years. One would think that Jeep would sort it out because it is doing the brand damage..The original software way back when the WH & Commander were first introduced didn't have this issue..I had a Commander for 6 years and never had this problem but then I didn't have the N23 update and refused to have it done...Well after having Jeeps since 1996, the WK2 I have now will be my last..I'm jumping ship and looking at alternatives aka no more Jeeps.

Last edited by Wanderer; 11-02-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 16-02-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default Post P73 "Service 4WD System" alarm

After having the P73 update a few weeks ago, yesterday I had the "Service 4WD System" alarm appear and a disabled 4WD-Lo selector again, for the second time since the update. This time it happened because I did not give the transfer case a chance to engage properly before I shut-down after changing out of 4WD-Lo. Then after running some errands around town involving about 6 starts the alarm disappeared and control returned.
Old 17-02-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
If you can get the VIN off them you can check if the update has been done also.
Do you have a link to that sight handy? Remember seeing someone mention it somewhere on Ausjeep, just can't find it again.
Old 17-02-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Do you have a link to that sight handy? Remember seeing someone mention it somewhere on Ausjeep, just can't find it again.
VIN check http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Jeep
recall check https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Old 17-02-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default Mopar Recall Site

Here's another site that may yield additional vehicle specific info on completed recalls: http://recalls.mopar.com/
Post New Thread  Reply