TJ: Aarons "thats gold" build - Page 51 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-06-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey azza are you going for this effect ?

looks like a nice ride hieght and wb has been achieved on this 40

Old 14-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spambulance View Post
hey azza are you going for this effect ?

looks like a nice ride hieght and wb has been achieved on this 40
That, Mr. Spam is of death!!!
Old 14-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats a great pic..
saw this drive at ttc this year. did well.. nice looking rig..
definately aiming for somthing similar. although unfortunately ill have to run flares on mine to cover tyres (shame)
unfortunately no updates this weekend. was hard to find time between soccer catch up games, and late nights with the world cup lol
Old 20-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got stuck into this saturday morning.. Aim was to finnish the front, drop the fuel tank, and start taking measurements up for the rear stretch. Everything seemed to go well for a change and got a fair bit done.. Once again, a big thanks to the krawler boys for the help over the weekend

Starting on the front, we fabbed up a panhard mount for the diff side, we also gusetted all the coilover hoops and chassis panhard mount.

Welded a peice of metal onto the panhard mount, then heated it up, and used a hammer to mould it into the shape of the chassis (which has a dip, and curve to it when u take off the tj standard sping and shock mount setup)

Fabbed up a panhard mount for the diff, added some bracing, came up strong and neat

ready for coilover. just needs some hydro bumpstops.

finally in

mounted the remote res canisters. wanted to run along the brace, but wasnt enough room.. happy how they sit tho

No fuel tank = heaps of room.. nice departure also

An idea i was keen to run with was comp cut the rear, and run some front flares in reverse. (i would need big mudflaps to cover the gap behind the wheels, but definately would be an option)
thing i wasnt happy with, would mean id need to do a hi-hood also, as looked funny raise the rear flares, and not the front. (doing it this way looked terrible with flares in stock height.)

I thought about running a hi-hood, (tube) and raising the rear, but would mean alot more fab work. and i just want to wheel it! also would need to lower the car alot. (or i would have a epic gap between the wheels and flares. , shes sitting really nicely atm (approx 4.5 inch lift) and with the stretch and extra width, im confident it will be really stable

Its always somthing i can do later if i run bigger tyres, and take it off the road. Tube flares always open the wheel wells up, and make the rig look more illegal anyway, so might steer clear. Whats everyones thoughts???

How shes sitting now, i still need to add a bar, winch etc.. so it should drop another 1 inch. with approx 4-5 inch uptravel, and 9-10 inch downtravel. going to flex ok i guess
I can always lower it change up and down travel by swapping out top springs. Im going to wheel it, let everything settle with the weight on the rig, then decide. its definately coming along tho.

Last edited by Aaronsjeep; 20-06-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 20-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In regards to wheel base.

with the diff moved backwards (tyres almost flush-perfect depature angle) i was achieving 102-106 inch wheel base. more like the 102-104 without the tyres sticking out past the rear bar.

This would give me alot of lenght in my driveshaft, which = alot more slip, and less id need to limit the suspension = more droop.. but worried about it looking to aggressive from the rear, or side.

what ill probably do is sheat up my tub, and cut out a true 37 inch wheel arch, putting on a 7 inch flare to cover the tyres. (would look alot more sedate)
i will be able to get approx 98-100 inch wheel base this way)

is the few extra inches in the rear worth the extra attention from the cops.. Anyone have thoughts on how a jeep with 100 inch wheel base, v 104-105 inch wb would climb.?
Old 20-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukethedork View Post
Aaron, From the looks of it in the pictures I would strongly suggest for you to redo your Panhard as it looks far too short compared to your Draglink.
For no bumpsteer your Panhard Rod must be the same length as your Draglink, and it must also be mounted at the same angle.

Work looks good on your rig. Hope you have it finished soon.
Luke.

*Edit* Again it is very hard to tell from pictures. So if I am incorrect about your Draglink and Panhard Rod being different lengths then disregard this.
Thanks for that mate.. i will measure them up, and post up the lenghts. they arnt dramatically different in lenghts tho.

The steering will be flipped before i wheel it, which will flatten the draglink, and i have adjustment on the chassis panhard mount ( i can lower it a 1 inch to make it sit flatter.)

I will definately have to look at that, and make sure its right. I guess drive it also, and see how she behaves..

Bumpsteer is on road issue right? it wont see alot of blacktop, but dont want it driving like a dog.

cheers
Old 20-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah Azz, I agree with LTD.
Looks like there's plenty of room to mount the axle end of the panhard where the old coils used to sit.

Get rid of that panhard all toghether and fab up one with some molly tube and joints..

It will bump steer, and probably limit droop too. That bracket on the axle end looks a bit weak too..

The front stance looks mean
Post New Thread  Reply