Loud high pitch squeal at 3000rpm? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Loud high pitch squeal at 3000rpm?

Hey all, hoping someone can help us out with this one before it gets worse. I've been using the Jeep up in Wedge a bit so it's been exposed to salty mud and I've been washing the hell out of the engine bay to try and keep on top of it.

It's developed an extremely loud high frequency, high pitch noise from the engine bay at around 3000rpm. It usually only lasts about a full second or so and is hard to make it happen when I need it to so it's hard to trace.

Should I be looking at AC, Power steering Pump, alternator? Both idlers were replaced recently and felt fine when I spin them with the belt off but the alternator did sound a little noisy.

Cheers with any help guys.
Old 04-09-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My water pump gave off some random high pitched squeeling before finally making an absolute raquet when bearings finally gave up.
Old 04-09-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah I thought about water pump. It's over 2 years old and I've a
Ready had one seize on my in a Jeep engine.

We had a look at it today and sprayed some Lanolin around under there and it was quiet all the way home so hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded any time soon.
Old 04-09-2013
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

If it occurs only at startup, check the belt tension.
Otherwise prob an idler pulley.
Old 07-09-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

my ac pump made a horrible noise when the bearing packed it in
Old 10-09-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Loud high pitch squeal at 3000rpm?

My fan belt screams at higher revs sometimes, my power steering pump screamed before packing it in (this was constant though) I did an idler pulley that got increasingly louder also. Hot tip, if its an idler pulley it is the same as an older (VN I think) Commodore. The local parts store triple the price for the same part when you add It's for a Jeep onto the question. They even went into their system when I queried the price saying its the same pulley as a commodore an they said that their computer shows the inflated price for the same part when it comes up as a Jeep parts search....
Old 11-09-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwake View Post
The local parts store said that their computer shows the inflated price for the same part when it comes up as a Jeep parts search....
thats pretty sad but not at all surprising