UK 2.7CRD cold starting - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-11-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default UK 2.7CRD cold starting

Hi folks,

Thought I had better introduce myself.

My manes Ken, live in Scotland and new to the Jeep family.

Made a decision a few weeks back to get a 4x4 as were we now live is more rural, floods more and snows more!

So I traded my car for a Metallic Grey 2002 WJ GC 2.7CRD Overland 115k miles, in good condition. Test drove it, drove it the 200+ miles back home, used it Saturday, bit reluctant to start after a cold night but did start, ran fine the rest of the day. Went out to it Sunday, wouldn't start. Gave up pushed it out the drive and took the other car. Partner called the rescue service who did get it to start. Proclaimed it needed new glow plugs. So with no record of them being changed, I changed them. Car ran fine the rest of that day, although still needed cranked for 5 seconds or longer when warm to start. Next day wouldn't start after a night of around -1c temperatures. However when it does run its fine, pulls strongly, no black smoke and idles just fine.

So had the car less than a week, used it for two days and called the rescue service (twice in one week after not using them for three years) and had the Jeep transported to my local garage.

Searching the net there is not a whole lot of info on the Mercedes 2.7 diesel engine when used in the Jeep. Plenty when used in Mercedes own products.

Local garage (not Jeep experts by any means) have drawn a blank other that it seems there is no power to the glow plugs.
Anyone else want to have a guess?

Good news is the dealer I bought it from is willing to cover my repair costs. so it is now booked into a Jeep dealer.
Old 19-11-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,962 Times in 2,335 Posts

My first place to check would be the battery, while they may look good on a meter a hydrometer check would probably show she's not quite up to speed as a start at those temps really draws a heap of juice to glow things up and turn it over, what with everything cold as buggery.
With the Jeep having electric everything it can take awhile to put the battery back to full charge as well, so a battery in top condition is a must.
My old one wouldn't start the Jeep but would start my old Ute as easy as pie.

Welcome to AJOR have a good look around it's got heaps of good info on Jeeps some good and also some bad just like any other vehicle and don't be afraid to ask a dumb question.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 19-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy Ken,

I agree about the battery. Whenever we get our first frosty morning and a battery hesitates, I don't hesitate to go and buy a new one. Might sound extreme but I do stick the hydrometer into it and nearly always the cold morning has highlighted a problem.

Is it possible your fuel filter isn't pre heating the fuel and that the fuel is waxy? I'm not sure about your climate - but over here we can get Alpine fuel for the snow season which prevents cold temp waxing issues.

Be interesting to see what Jeep diagnose.

Also try http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum for good info from the South Africans who have the 2.7CRD.

Cheers from Oz
Old 19-11-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

If glow plugs arent working that will make starting when cold difficult if not impossible.Most glow plugs are controlled by a timer which turns them on when engine temp is below a certain point & holds them on longer when cold.this is controlled by a seperate temp sender in the motor.Get your mechanic to check whole system.
Old 19-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HI folks,

Thanks for all your input and hints.

The story so far;

Dealer I bought the car for showed me a receipt for a new battery, so I had put that possibility to the side. However it is a brand I have never heard of so maybe it just simply isn't up to the job so I shall change it anyway.

First breakdown service driver thought it could be the glow plugs. He simply hooked it up to his truck so the battery wasn't taking the strain so much and it did eventually start after some cranking, then it was fine the rest of the day. I changed the glow plugs, seemed to be fine again that day also. The next day was when it refused to start and I ran the battery near flat and even hooking up a jumps start pack didn't help. The temperature that night had been around -2C -3C so not as cold as it can get here.

I had it transported on flat bed to my local garage who are really good and don't give any crap. They freely admitted they have little experience of Jeeps, more used to Land Rovers round these parts but would have a look anyway. As far as they can see there is no power to the glow-plugs, although the glow-plug light on the dashboard does come on and goes off after a few seconds. If they use easy start spray or similar it fires up just fine. I know these sprays are not the best idea, they just wanted to test that it would fire up and run to rule out any fuel pump issues.

So now it is booked into the Jeep dealership in Glasgow on Monday (22nd Nov) and hopefully they will be able to sort it out.

Glad to say the dealer I bought the car from has taken responsibility and will reimburse me for the repairs.

As for waxy fuel. The fuel stations and their suppliers start to use "winter diesel" when the temperature drops. Never had an issue with waxy fuel in our other diesel car of the mother in laws diesel X3 last winter even when it was -10C - 15C

I shall keep you all posted on what the dealer says on Monday
Old 20-11-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Yeah local mechanic did right thing & yes I wouldnt recomend overusing aero-start.
Id be checking main glow plug power fuse ,fusible links ,relay,etc .If light is coming on dash it sounds like timer is working.
Old 20-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, so just come back from the garage the Jeep is at. As it is round the back and no one there on Saturday afternoons I thought I would go and have a look myself.

Within five minutes I had found one blown 50amp fuse marked as Glow-Plug 1. That would I assume account for lack of power to the glow plugs. Tried to start it but wouldn't start, however I do know that by the sound of the cranking the battery is not in a good state of charge.

To many cars parked in front of it to get jump leads on from another car, also couldn't get it out even if I did get it started. So still going to take it to the Jeep dealer on Monday. If its blown a 50amp fuse its blown it for a reason so I may as well get it all checked out anyway.
Post New Thread  Reply