Air Bags to assist when towing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2014
---8< CUT HERE >8---

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Default Air Bags to assist when towing

OK so I have been on a dozen trips away with various trailers over the past few years.

The last couple of years in my JK 2 door with OME 2in lift and 33in BFG mud tyres.

Towing my current heavy camper plain sucks. There is obviously to much weight on the tow ball for my current suspension set up.

The Jeep sags badly at the rear and steering is pretty spooky at times.

Will airbags in my rear coils make a big difference?
Old 11-05-2014
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Get a set of haymen reease intermediate levelling bars, will reduce the weight on ball, and transfer half the weight to over front tyres, improving steering, handling etc . Air bags will increase stress on the ball that's only rated to 150kgs on a 2 door.
Old 11-05-2014
---8< CUT HERE >8---

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Do levelling bars work with a Treg hitch?
Old 11-05-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Can't see why they would not?

I towed a 1.2t Jayco Dove on a 3900km round trip late last year using a Hayman Reese load levelling hitch and it drove very nicely. However once I returned I wanted to go up the beach and out to Land Cruiser Park, neither of which I could take the LLH as they actually recommend removing it for going up a driveway...

So I fitted a set of air bags a few months ago and then went up the Noosa North shore. Towed great, much more stable than without. Next went up to Lancruiser Park via Imbil, so some very steep dirt roads and some rough areas too, no problems at all.

This model Jayco is about the heaviest on the towball, up around the 160kg limit of the two door. Thoroughly recommend the air bags.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 11-05-2014
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Im pretty sure you cant use load levelling hitch with offroad swivelling hitch like the treg.
Old 11-05-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You can, but it does need slight mods to fit the treg however it does defeat the purpose of the swiveling hitch

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 11-05-2014
---8< CUT HERE >8---

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Sounds like airbags are the go.

Thanks folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk