TJ Overhead Console - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default TJ Overhead Console

i wanted an overhead console that suited my needs but all i could find was a rugged ridge sort of thing that didn't really fit the bill… so decided to make up my own.

originally my constraints were:
- had to fit nicely within the area of the soft top
- couldn't obstruct any vision
- had to be removable
- had to allow the the soft top latches
- had to house the UHF radio

so scribbled out a rough idea of what i wanted on an old receipt and got to work with the tools and some MDF.
didn't expect it to turn out that well but it actually worked out perfectly!! {i can probably dig up the receipt or write down the specs if you want to do it yourself, just send me a PM.}
The plans changed a little along the way and i decided to go in a different direction with the UHF placement and also decided to chuck some speakers in the console with a little storage area in the middle. It does everything i set out to do. doesn't block any vision, fits perfectly and can be moved quickly for the soft-top latches or removed if necessary.

i did end up removing the sun visors as A) i don't use them and B) they were just an extra step in taking the soft top and I'm lazy…… however I'm considering adding some sort of slide down visors to the back of the console

(sorry, forgot to take pics during the build!)

i still need to carpet those little blocks on the sides and it still has to pass an off road test…. i have a feeling it won't like corrugations. might have to sort out some kind of cushion or something
Old 14-08-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks sweet, how did it go off road? Can you remember what the dimensions for the main section are?
Old 15-08-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks pretty cool - but don't you scone yourself on it in front of you?

Old 18-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Goes great offroad, if it gets a bit rattly, i just rap a cable tie around the bits that stick out and the roll bar, but haven't really needed to do that.
No sconing, and I've had a few forward bumps too!

also really surprised how well the marine carpet has protected the MDF, i hose out the inside of the jeep sometimes or hose it down with the roof off and the MDF hasn't expanded at all. if i did it again i would do with plywood however
Post New Thread  Reply