Draws and Fridge mounting for Rear of KJ - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Draws and Fridge mounting for Rear of KJ

Bought my self a 60L waeco the other week and had to find a way of securing it in the back of the KJ. The tie down points in the car weren't conducive to simply strapping it down so i came up with the following idea.

What I did was make up a base plate of 24mm ply, two 12mm ply sheets glued together, and then added 17mm feet to raise it up to just over the tail gate lip. This meant i could bolt the fridge mount where ever I please without drilling any holes in the body and have draws that open without hitting the tailgate lip.

An the under side showing the feet.

The sticky out bit extends over the split fold seat beacuse the fridge won't fit length ways with the seat up. As I only have two kids(7&9) this is no big deal and gives extra room to stash gear including the WAECO battery pack.

Ive used screw in nuts to bolt the fridge mount to the plywood so they should never get lost.

The ply wood is secured to the tie down points using stainless u-bolts. The u-bolts were 500mm long which put them below the surface of the ply out of the way. Why stainless? Cause there shiny! Probably stronger too.

After I did all that I put in a single draw on the right hand side which is 620mm wide by 550mm long and 175mm deep. I went for one draw as two would waste more space for the draw extra draw slides and divider. It would also limit its usefullnes. this way I can just put a divider in the draw where ever it suits.

all thats left is to give it a coat of varnish to seal it cause i didn't use marine ply. All up it cost a bit more than $100.
I thought of using one of those lovely new fridge drop slides http://www.platinumgear.com.au/ which would allow me to have two draws and still enable the wife to get into the fridge but at $350 it was a bit expensive.

If your a piccy whore you can get some more from here http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gall...avId=x901c666c

Last edited by aus-kj; 11-11-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add pics link
Old 12-11-2007
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Looks Great..Well Done.

Should get yourself some auto carpet and cover it with that, so as it looks like part of the car. I'll be redesigning mine soon as well, as I want more usable space in the back, and no longer need to carry jerry cans.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 12-11-2007
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brillient idea well done. I've just bought a KJ so I think I will do something simlar

Cheers

Bri
Old 16-11-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how do you go accesing the fridge with it not sliding out
Old 16-11-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy View Post
how do you go accessing the fridge with it not sliding out
Both my wife and I are quite tall (5'10" & 6'2") so it's not really an issue for us although it could be a pain for smaller people. There is a new drop slide available that I would have bought but it's a bit expensive and we don't need it.
Old 17-07-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am about to do something similar for my KJ, I like your solution to tie it in with the U bolt. I might do the same.
Old 04-09-2011
Renegade

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice, I had a rubber mat as my surface but its tearing too easily so I'm having to re-assess the covering.

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD
Post New Thread  Reply