What size of lift/tires are you most interested in? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-05-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Default What size of lift/tires are you most interested in?

TeraFlex is curious about what Australian Jeepers want under their JK's. Here in the US, most seem to run a 2.5"-3" for 35's. Myself I'm running a 4" LA kit with 37's.

Old 25-05-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Teraflex
I think there are two groups in Australia, those who wish to stay legal, and those who are not concerned. So there is a large group looking for a 2" lift and 33's, as 2" is the max legal lift height in most states, and 33's is about the max legal tyre size in most states as well. The second group would be in the 3 to 3.5" lift with 35.
Strangely enough, there is also another group looking for a 60mm or 2.5" lift, the grey area guys as this is almost legal.
A 2" lift that offers 3" of actual lift which many of the US lifts do is also illegal. A 2" lift in the US usually equals 2" with accessories. In Australia, as it is mostly touring focused, we start at the lift height, than either add free height or coil stiffnes to account for accessories.
I run a 2 and a bit inch lift with 32's on CRDU.
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
TeraFlex is curious about what Australian Jeepers want under their JK's. Here in the US, most seem to run a 2.5"-3" for 35's. Myself I'm running a 4" LA kit with 37's.

Last edited by jktom; 25-05-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 25-05-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to run the lift that allows me to-

- stay legal
- fit the car in my garage which has an entrance about 2.05m high
- stay insurable.

With my current insurance company that seems to be changing the tyres but not lifting the suspension - can someone remind me what the largest tyres are that can be run on stock height suspension? Is it 33s?

JB

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
Old 25-05-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

You can run 33's on stock suspension but may need longer bump stops to stop them scrubbing. Not really an issue for on-road work but not ideal for off-road work as you're reducing your overall suspension travel a fair bit. You're losing up-travel without adding any down-travel.

Legalities aside, you'll not have any issues in your garage until you're running a serious lift with huge tyres or a roof rack. I've got a 2-2.5" lift and 33's and mine's still under 1.9m.
Old 25-05-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

To answer the OP questions, I think we'd all like to have your 4" LA kit and 37's but the realities of legalities in Australia (which are stricter in some states that others) and the practicality of needing the car to be a daily driver and therefore still fit into low city centre car parks etc means most people aim for something around a 2-2.5" lift with 33's or perhaps 35's.

As JKTOM mentioned, another important factor is that again, while we would all like to have every conceivable accessory hanging off our JK, for many that isn't possible. This means that many of us are trying to achieve the 2-2.5" lift with essentially stock JK's. Without some careful research and understanding how the various lift kits were designed this often results in a far higher lift than we want (or is legal).

Great to see that Teraflex is actually asking the question though and taking a direct interest in Australian market.
Old 25-05-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
can someone remind me what the largest tyres are that can be run on stock height suspension? Is it 33s?
JB
Mr Bond,

terraflex have a great video
which out lines the tyre sizes for the JK.
Please review at your leasure.
Old 25-05-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

me personally, i would like somthign around the 3-4 inch lift, running 37's... i have a 2 door rubi and currently run 3.5 lift on 37's... but i am growing tired of my suspension and will be looking for a change up soon.... what do your kits provide which the poly ones dont (poly is wining in my eyes atm)
Post New Thread  Reply