Electric trailer brake for WK2: which one and how? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-05-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Electric trailer brake for WK2: which one and how?

Hi All

I'm about to install a genuine Mopar (Best Bars) towbar in my 2012 CRD. All the wiring has been supplied, and it looks like it's all plug and play.i'd like to install a electric brake controller as well. I might not ever use it, but would rather have it there if I ever did need it. Any recommendations on what to get and how to install? ( ideally something that's hidden away, that I could pull out if needed)

Cheers
Chris
Old 13-05-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

It is a can of worms asking which brake controller is best to buy, you'll get a load of different opinions here.

I have the Redarc EBRH controller. It is NOT a proportional controller like the Prodigy but so far on a lightish trailer (around 400kg empty) I am quite happy with the way it works, generally it pulls the rig up smoothly so I can't see a reason to move.

Best part is the bits you see are an LED and a knob, unlike other controllers.

My father swears by his Prodigy controller for his 2,00kg + van but he has an F250 so it isn't as hard to install the controller.

Edited: Needed to add a NOT

Last edited by bodgie; 14-05-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 13-05-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I fitted to my Grand a Redarc remote head electric trailer brake
Or should i say had the dealer fit it at time of fitting the tow bar etc
The remote head positioned next to the light switch
On e bay for $163.00 delivered
Nice don't even notice its there.

I tow a 3 ton caravan no issue
Old 13-05-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Electric trailer brake for WK2: which one and how?

Thanks. Just seen that Tekonsha do a wireless one. Anyone used these?
Old 13-05-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Thanks. Just seen that Tekonsha do a wireless one. Anyone used these?
Great in theory and for $300 then any car car use the trailer. But not for me, even a premium braking system has a heap of issues ( especially when you add salt water) so throwing RF into the mix i for sure would never do it! Last thing you want is a comms issue with 3T pushing you down a hill.

And remember you still need a hot wire for all the electric brakes to work correctly. So cabling would still be needed even with a plug and play harness.

I went with the Tekonsha P3, I tow my 3T boat with it at least 5-6 times per month and its brilliant. I have attached a photo of where i mounted it in my center console.

Old 14-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

I've also got a P3 installed in the centre console cubby, totally out of sight when not in use.

The Redarc is NOT a proportional controller, unlike the P3 (or P2 for that matter)
The Redarc will apply the same amount of braking power to the brakes regardless of how much pressure you put on the brake pedal, up to the limit you set by the rotary dial.
The P3 uses accelerometres and will vary the amount of voltage sent to the brakes in proportion to how fast you are decelerating.
CSA Raptors
Old 14-05-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
The Redarc is NOT a proportional controller, unlike the P3 (or P2 for that matter)
Fixed my language, fully intended to add a NOT to my description.
Post New Thread  Reply