Need swift advice please. On WG water in tranny @#$& up. - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-04-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggers View Post
Hey Hoobz,

How is this coming, I am thinking I am going to rebuild my spare one, however after watching a video on youtube, I am reconsidering, there is allot of parts there which I don't feel overly comfortable removing, spesh when the tranny is so difficult to remove even with a hoist.

It will be the first tranny I would have rebuilt, I have done a few engines, but transmissions are a bit of, magic goes in and magic comes out, well sorta.
Haha.
Late reply.
I've been busy with life since I posted

The rebuild kit came a few weeks ago, and I've put it all back together with much love.

Rebuilding the auto has been a brilliant fun project, probably in my top 3 fave mechanical things I've done. The magic mystique has gone with me now. I've worked out what goes on in there, and it's excellent. Remarkable engineering for sure. Respect to those guys.

I bolted the tranny in today.

Sockeye has sent me a TC chain, should be here Monday, then that will go back in too. The TC sucked in water too.

Possibly Wednesday will be the moment of reckoning. If it's playing up, I know which component/s it will be.

Fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160317_132606_zpsbyzepmiz.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	76164   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160318_132247_zpspoc84oup.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	76165   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_204433_zpsm89loirp.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	76166   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160408_192954_zpsjpw2homc.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	76167  

Last edited by Hoobz; 11-08-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 16-04-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggers View Post
Hey Hoobz,

I don't feel overly comfortable removing, spesh when the tranny is so difficult to remove even with a hoist.

It will be the first tranny I would have rebuilt, I have done a few engines, but transmissions are a bit of, magic goes in and magic comes out, well sorta.

With a hoist and tranny tower jack on wheels, getting the tranny in and out is very easy.

I'd hate to do it on jack stands. Everyone who does it that way has my ultimate respect. It's fugging heavy, awkward and dangerous.

Having said that, once it's out...

I reckon you should give rebuilding one a crack for sure. If you get stuck once you start just sing out👍

You don't need any ridiculously expensive special one purpose tools either.
Old 20-04-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up Stoked

Long time coming

Finished reassembling Dexter Monday night.

It was with great nervousness I turned the key

Started first crank after sitting for 6 months. Battery held good charge.

It was kind of scary snicking into reverse, drive, 1, 2, N etc.

Tranny is 100% sweet. Good as new.

Took it out for some shaking down last night and couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Best project I've done for a long time.

Lessons learnt:

A. Check the length of breathers. Not all models are the same.
B. Just flushing a drowned auto is not good enough.
C. 545 RFE is an awesome box.
D. So glad I've installed a tranny drain plug.
E. Now know what does the 'magic' inside auto's and torque converters.
F. You don't need the 'special tools'. If you are inventive it's not hard to work around.

The only code I have is a new one. Oxygen sensor 1, bank 2. About to research it.
Old 23-04-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Post A couple of other findings

A few times I've read that people think that when checking the tranny fluid level it will vary if it's in Park or in Neutral.

I wondered about this when I was trying to get my head around what goes on

With the 545/45 RFE it's not the case. The fluid level will be the same both in Park and Neutral.

The fluid flow schematic below shows nothing is different for Park-Neutral. The only difference being that when in Park the mechanical pawl is engaged. The fluid flow route does change in Neutral over 8Mph, but no one checks fluid level in a rolling Jeep

For safety reasons, Park is the obvious go-to position to have the tranny in to check the level.

Below is a schematic of it in First, it's actually highly doubtful, after seing all the internals, that the ATF fluid height would alter enough then either for the average checker, when stationery.
The different veins in the valve body are always full but not always under pressure, and minimal volume of the clutch piston drums changing isn't significant enough. Keep in mind while looking at the schematics that the dark filled-in lines represent routes under 'pressure', it doesn't indicate those lines/veins/chanels are full when black, empty when white.

Their might be a slight change in height, but not huge.
Not as big of a difference to matter to the ATF pick up, as would travelling near your Jeeps roll over point, or traversing steep hills.

After all that crap, short version...

Just check the level in Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-23 07.40.51_zpszrrqkr5b.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	76168   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-23 07.46.10_zpsodikgqof.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	76169  

Last edited by Hoobz; 11-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 23-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
With a hoist and tranny tower jack on wheels, getting the tranny in and out is very easy.

I'd hate to do it on jack stands. Everyone who does it that way has my ultimate respect. It's fugging heavy, awkward and dangerous.

Having said that, once it's out...

I reckon you should give rebuilding one a crack for sure. If you get stuck once you start just sing out��

You don't need any ridiculously expensive special one purpose tools either.
tell me about it , I do not have a hoist , asked the BP garage to do rear seal ? oh no couldn't give a quote on the job nor did really want to touch , my jeep on stands half unbolted and I have a blurred eye pain and cant see crap till me eye heals , I don't even have a tranny stand and cant get one from anywhere cant get metal to make one or flux wire to weld . with my son jabbering on , wife nagging , dog barking constant ......................
all because a garge could not give a quote to place in a speedi sleeve .
Old 23-04-2016
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
tell me about it , I do not have a hoist , asked the BP garage to do rear seal ? oh no couldn't give a quote on the job nor did really want to touch , my jeep on stands half unbolted and I have a blurred eye pain and cant see crap till me eye heals , I don't even have a tranny stand and cant get one from anywhere cant get metal to make one or flux wire to weld . with my son jabbering on , wife nagging , dog barking constant ......................
all because a garge could not give a quote to place in a speedi sleeve .
I feel for you Bleets, of course if you were closer I'd help you do it on my hoist. Use all my stuff no worries.
But you're wayyy up near Bendigo yes?

Can you get it down to Geelong?
Old 23-04-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

hour and half south of Bendigo , it is already pulled , just got to do rear cross member bolts and then the four bell housing , then measure the crank end order a speedi sleeve and tap it in and place the new seal in . the eye has slowed me , I have plenty of tools so on , but my so called pit has a bit of problem where the shed is falling and the brick work is bowing inward (no I didn't build it someone else did)
I have no spray back on flex plate , but a ton of oil seeping down , last time had quite a bit but the seal I replaced I hit with high temp silly conan and it had slowed it to a two 50 piece size (too much for roady) so could be that the crank end is down in size for seal. just got to wait and heal up
though might see how I go tomorrow !
Post New Thread  Reply