My WG 4.7 PowerTech engine rebuild, swap, mod, or not? thread - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-09-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts

The ball bearings on the fan is an interesting setup for balance, my fan is not balanced very well, once the jeep gets over 1/2 on the temp gauge it vibrates almost as bad as the death wobble i had But it works as a good physical indicator that my engine is getting warm so i'm not gonna touch it
Old 22-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straubz View Post
The ball bearings on the fan is an interesting setup for balance, my fan is not balanced very well, once the jeep gets over 1/2 on the temp gauge it vibrates almost as bad as the death wobble i had But it works as a good physical indicator that my engine is getting warm so i'm not gonna touch it
I didn't inspect the ball bearings much, but they're definitely jammed in place. Never seen a pic of that set up before either.

I'll google it tomorrow

Ahhh I remember the white knuckle death wobble expectation driving. Exciting times
Old 23-09-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
Tyvokka,

You are a tease

I'm not doing an engine swap for sure now. Can't be F'd

SC still on the cards

Haa..Haa...lol...was just contributing ideas to engine rebuild swap mods or not.

Good luck with it all.
Old 23-09-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Haa..Haa...lol...was just contributing ideas to engine rebuild swap mods or not.

Good luck with it all.
Your contribution to society is appreciated

You have a lot more research time into this motor than I have, and I need a hand deciding on the direction to go bro
Old 23-09-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

You can pull the heads in place but take the exhaust manifolds with heads, don't try and remove them first, as it is almost impossible, there is a lot of flex in the front engine mounts and so the engine can be lifted some with a jack and wood under the sump.

Once the timing cover and inlet manifold is off there is a reasonable amount of room to work.
I actually prefer to pull the engine and trans as a unit, but it is possible just to lift the heads.
Old 23-09-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
You can pull the heads in place but take the exhaust manifolds with heads, don't try and remove them first, as it is almost impossible, there is a lot of flex in the front engine mounts and so the engine can be lifted some with a jack and wood under the sump.

Once the timing cover and inlet manifold is off there is a reasonable amount of room to work.
I actually prefer to pull the engine and trans as a unit, but it is possible just to lift the heads.
Thanks for the info confirming my latest thoughts

I've been looking over it all this arvo and came to the conclusion of what you say.
Manifolds stay on the heads as they come off.

It's possible I'll wish I pulled the engine with trans out too.

I'll keep on the path I'm on for now, I've got plenty of time up my sleeves, so no rush. Still might be pulling the whole lot out depending how it unfolds
Old 24-09-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

If you pull the engine and trans combo, remove the transfer case first as it won't go through the area beneath the firewall with the front axle in position.
Also if you plan to pull the combo pull the engine pipe out if you can, it helps a lot to have it gone.
Post New Thread  Reply