Replacing a radio/cassette player with a CD/MP3 player - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2007
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts
Talking

stock location...no place for a standard rail
cdplayers fit, with room to spare. only thing you need to worry is that all the wiring isn't in the way.

this is the connector that attaches to the car wiring harness. check the drawing below... (the lower middle pin is number 11)

this is the power connector that goes in the hu. the brown wire is the ground. i would advise you to run a wire to some bare metal and ground to that. just to avoid possible ground loop / noise problems.
red wire is +12v. yellow/green is auto antenna.
Old 31-05-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Hey Adrian, that's great work!! While its out how far is it from the front of the dash to back of the cavity, ie how deep can the replacement unit be?
Old 31-05-2007
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Adrian, your dash is on the wrong side
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 31-05-2007
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts

yeah, yeah, i know it's on the wrong side :P
from the back of the dash (there's a number written on it, check the pic) to the dash trim plate there are about 19cm to work with. cd-players are around 15-16 cm deep (from the bottom to the trim ring) so there's enough room.
i know for sure i can push my alpine deep in the dash. but i will have a lot of trouble with the wiring...where will i fit 6 runs of rca's ?
right now i have a blaupunkt cassete player with a totaled display in there. comes right out, trouble free.
there's a part of the dash just behind the whinpy trim plate. seems like a solid place to mount some L-brackets. that way, to remove the hu you will have to remove the whole trim plate.

Last edited by Adrian D; 31-05-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2007
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yes, the "propper" way is to pull the dash fascia first, the screw holes you see are where the stock H/U mounts with a bracket that can be swapped on to the new one.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 01-06-2007
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I just did mine the other day, it is really easy to do as the standard Jeep brackets lined up perfectly with the new head units mount holes.
The jeep doesn't use rcas and these are only used if fitting an amplifier.
The jeeps wiring colours are mostly the same as the aftermarket units when it comes to the speaker wiring 3 of 4 are the same and the 4th is pretty obvious...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 01-06-2007
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have a copy of the wiring diagram for the Phillips unit fitted to the 96 Limited if anyone is interested, I can scan the important bit and post.
I chased it down in 2000when I fitted a sony cd and couldn't find an adaptor plug to suit.