Likely stupid question - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Understood. I always pull my ABS fuses anyway in other cars.

Also, I just got under the car quickly...there are no electric lines/wires going to the front calipers or rear drums...

So the pic of my actual rear diff is not a D44?
Everything i look at shows the D35 being more of an oval...
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j.../My%20Diff.jpg

Also, reading online seems that the 35 was standard, and 44 was optional?

Otherwise, the deal sounds ok? Or am i getting completely shafted and blinded by the pretty ARB stuff (which i was planning on eventually anyway).

Last edited by Karl07; 12-09-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Checked under the car
Old 13-09-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

The deal does sound OK. Cheaper then buying new ARB kit for existing.

The ABS system is all hydraulic, run via actuator under the hood, so no wires, etc to rear.

To my knowledge, all late model XJ's in Oz came with D35 rear. There wasnt an option box to tick here. The bottom of your diff doesnt look pointy enough to be a D44. looks pretty similar to my D35, but hey, I thought mine was an 8.25 for a while!
Old 13-09-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
Understood. I always pull my ABS fuses anyway in other cars.
LOVE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
Otherwise, the deal sounds ok? Or am i getting completely shafted and blinded by the pretty ARB stuff (which i was planning on eventually anyway).
It cost's more than 15 to do one new, I'd say it's more than fair if it's all in good nic. The only thing pretty about ARB lockers is that they are Pretty well the most Awesome upgrade you can do, even if you end up spending twice that, you'll still be ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struth View Post
I've done plenty of hardcore trips with a buddy in his 97 XJ Chero fitted with ARB lockers at both ends. That Chero on 31's would often out do my TJ on 33's with the OME LSD and open up front
Old 14-09-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks guys!
They are going to hook it up to shop air to show that they are in good working order.
I have never had air lockers before, only autolockers so this will be good to try. I will still have to organize my compressor and lines and wiring but i won't be going wheeling for a little while anyway.

Yeah Struth, I personally find that ABS is good for people who don't know how to modulate the brake...though i understand its used in an emergency, if you know what you are doing, you can generally pull up quicker.
Also i used to race so ABS was just frustrating!

Mace1, it's heaps cheaper for me as my current rear diffs crown + pinion are missing a couple teeth...so I would have had to replace those too.
I assume it was a typo, being that we are in the TJ section, but i have a TJ Wrangler rather than an XJ...
If i flick between the two pictures they look so similar to me...but I know nothing! Regardless, it would be an upgrade.

Just been confirmed they are working great and will even get a few months warranty off them!
Looks like i will give them a shot.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 14-09-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Just make sure when you test them they don't leak air from inside the diff, get them to lock, then put your finger over the vent hole for a second and take it off to feel if there is any pressure. Repeat several times slowly increasing how long you leave your finger over vent till you can hold your finger on there for a minute or so with no pressure. You want to do it slowly as you don't want to blow the axle seals out if it is leaking air.

Also if you are pretty sure you are going to buy them, take the diff covers off and have a look inside, worth the extra effort and a little sealant and oil.
Old 14-09-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Karl - we can't see your pictures but ALL Aussie TJs were sold with a Dana44 rear and a Dana30 front.

The only reason a TJ would have a Dana35 is if someone swapped out the original Dana44 - and there is no logical reason to do that.
Old 14-09-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Fyi...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diffs ID.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	76375