Tj control arms - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Tj control arms

Hi guys haven't been jeeping for a while
But she's out of the shed and wheeling again
I have worn out original control arms and was wondering how much longer I could push my wheelbase with the adjustables.
2"lift & sye 31"tyres
Any advice would be grateful thanks
Ian.
Old 09-01-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts

I am running that set up 31's, SYE, 2 1/2in lift and front upper and lower adjustable arms. I have not gone rear arms as every thing seems to work ok. I also have rear air bags. As soon as you go a lift on the TJ's adjustable on the front should be your first priority, the steering geometry just will not work. I've been a mechanic for over 35 years and it never ceases to amaze me how people can think they can get a vehicle to steer with no caster. I read on these forums all the time with peoples weird ideas on how to fix steering problems on run 0 caster. I did Matherson spur and the Berrigun crossing tracks Vic high country Dargo last week. My current set up ate it alive, never looked like having a clearance issue and the front articulated beautifully keeping the wheels in contact with the terrain at all times. these are both very steep and rutted tracks. I don't have a front diff lock yet and if I add sway bar disconnects I don't think much would stop the jeep. The SYE is a great mod, I still run the standard rear control arms and it has fixed the pinion angle up nicely. The good part about these mods is the vehicle stills looks in proportion, keeping rego simple and not drawing attention form the police. Good luck with the mods I now you will be surprised the difference it will make and how capable your TJ will be.
Old 09-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Hi brave525,

Why lengthen the wheelbase beyond stock unless planning on running 33"s and up?

A 2" increase in the ride height should only decrease the wheelbase by a few millimeters, it's bordering on overkill spending time and money fixing geometry unless experiencing related issues, personal choice I guess but the stock control arms are pretty cheap to replace and do an adequate job.

Increasing the ride height by 3" or more does notably decreases the wheelbase, nevertheless, many of us have run standard control arms without major issues for years, if you got the bucks, do fit adjustable control arms but returning the wheelbase to the original geometry and specifications would be my priority.
Old 09-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

from memory i installed adjustable upper rear control arms in order to give better tail shaft alignment to the rear diff when going to a 2" lift with 31" tyres

cant remember if it was the upper or lower, but either way certainly the rear and not the front. no issues and no drive line vibes

edit. was the upper I installed, just went outside and had a look

Last edited by bonza; 09-01-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
from memory i installed adjustable upper rear control arms in order to give better tail shaft alignment
If you have an SYE the diff should point at the transferase output shaft with as close to a zero angle.

If you have a slip yoke, then both universals should have the same angle

Old 11-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struth View Post
If you have an SYE the diff should point at the transferase output shaft with as close to a zero angle.

If you have a slip yoke, then both universals should have the same angle

struth is correct.

if you have the stock prop shaft with two uni joints (one at the transfer box end and the other at the diff end) then the diff centre line should be parallel to the transfer box centre line. a lift up to about 2" the stock shaft is usually ok

anything over 2.5" then you are much better off with a SYE with two uni joints on the transfer box end and one uni joint on the diff end with the diff dialed in parallel with the prop shaft by using adjustable control arms

either way, rear adjustable control arms are worthwhile to make sure your prop shaft is set up correctly
Old 11-01-2018
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave525 View Post
Hi guys haven't been jeeping for a while
But she's out of the shed and wheeling again
I have worn out original control arms and was wondering how much longer I could push my wheelbase with the adjustables.
2"lift & sye 31"tyres
Any advice would be grateful thanks
Ian.
Rearwards you can only go back about 1.5" before the panhard starts to interfer with the fuel tank. Also under compression the bumpstops can misalign causing issues.
Front you can only go about .5" before the steering linkage clearance starts to become an issue (assuming correct alignment).
To properly extend the wheelbase theres a whole swag of issues to contend with. But even with 2" lift there are improvements to be had.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply