Which models came without DPF? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Which models came without DPF?

Hello,

Which years of Jeep JK 4 doors (unlimited?) wranglers came with a dpf and without a dpf?

Does yours have a DPF or not?

Wanting to buy a wrangler without DPF and I heard 2 sides to the story... some claimed that up to 2010 they were without dpf... once the interior got redesigned in 2011 and the newer A428 diesel got put in which had more power than the 2007-10, then the DPF was added while the R428 diesel in the 2007-10 with the older more rugged looking interior did not have a DPF.

On other hand other people from oil companies said according to their listings even 2008 model wranglers had DPFs.... however that was at a time when they were coming in... or when cars with diesels started requiring them so perhaps some had them and others of the same year did not...

To my understanding DPF ads no benefit to the vehicle only a hinderance if anything because it limits the type of oil you must use (oil which doesnt protect AS good as the really good stuff is no good for DPFs) and it ads one extra thing to go wrong/service.

Since I am looking at buying a diesel, then I am not stuck to I must have one or not... I got the option to get one with or without...

Thoughts/help... thanks.
Old 04-04-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

I'm pretty sure DPF was introduced in 2011. My 2010 CRD didn't have a DPF. However, the 2008 parts manual lists the diesel engine with a DPF. Maybe local regulations allowed it to be deleted and hence the confusion.
Old 05-04-2017
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

had a My11, (late 2010 build) No DPF..
Part listings are used for a guide only, Most imported cars are wrong in one way or another..

You can't miss the DPF, Its pretty much under the drivers door and has sensor ports before and after it.
Dont get confused with the CAT which is located right after the turbo and goes from the engine bay to under the car...

Either way DPF is evil and shortens engine life.. And if you want to run oil that is DPF friendly? well it kills the engine even sooner

Last edited by MidnightMods; 05-04-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for that.

What do you mean if I run old and DPF friendly it kills engine sooner?

Old what?

Which model year would be the best one to get from 2007+ ?

I read a lot of stuff abkut ergs egus and i dont even know what and how certain things got added and removed and yeah...

The 2011 on are nice due to engine update... can the older ones get 'updated' for more torque/power?

Do all the 2011 on have dpfs or even some of them with redesigned interior can come without dpf?

Am i better off with the newer engine and gearbox in the 2011 onwards or can more be done to the earlier ones (mods and aftermarket) to make them better than the later ones?

Etc...
Old 05-04-2017
Never serious!

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

Midnight Mods would have meant to type "OIL" he must have fat finger syndrome like me...
Old 05-04-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

After a decent tune the older ones and the newer ones will give similar results, it's just the factory tune is a bit higher on the 2011+

Basically, is the DPF worth putting up with to get the new gearbox, new interior, and climate control and hill decent control (basically super slow cruise control) is the question to ask

personally I don't prefer either interior (new seats might be firmer?) and I don't mind about climate control.
I'm not sure which gear box is better, I have the older one and it gets hot, I'm not sure if the newer box runs cooler or feels more responsive. But you also get the tiptronic control with the new box which could be handy.

Hill descent....maybe useful, the jeep controls the brakes on individual wheels to keep her steady, I don't think it would work well on sand, but for rocky or muddy slopes it could be good

The way people talk about DPF, I'm obviously glad mine doesn't have it but if I was buying again I would drive a 2010, and a 2011 and see if the gearbox feels better in one or the other and base my decision on that.

Can someone post a pic of a DPF unit so people can check visually whether they have it or not?
Old 05-04-2017
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

climate control isn't really a climate controlled unit.. there is no heater tap so its always going to be done by the blender motor.

You can get which ever model you like, You can get tunes to disable EGR and DPF delete, so dont lose sleep over it, Get the best car for amount of money you can afford to spend...

Old=oil, Autocorrect on the phone.
Post New Thread  Reply