WK2 Roof Loading - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonohalloran View Post
I have the full rocky road adventure rack with the spare tire mounted and light bar and jerry holders and shovel axe and hi lift holder. It is solid as a rock! I'm sure that the load limit is for stability while driving. However I could be wrong. I wouldn't mind seeing photos of the deformed roof if possible.
Hello Shannon,

Photo??..None were taken but from what I'm told the deformation was temporary and popped out with no damage..The roads it happend on were extreme..I know I've been on them and 120km takes about 10hrs....Pity freight from the US is so expensive..Not sure if there is a Rocky Road agent here...The Rocky Road Kit is relatively cheap but UPS freight ex-US to Australia is huge & that's the basic rack with steel rails without the accessories you have....US owners are definitely at an advantage when it comes to Jeep aftermarket gear. Still I'm prepared to pay up if I can't get what I need locally.

Further searching this forum shows more discussion on Roof Strength and racks so obviously there is some concern and confusion about exactly what is possible see: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=123637

Last edited by Wanderer; 09-07-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a rack from Rocky Road - I think all up to my door was $436 US for the full rack and the tyre holder, and the shipping was $410 US (Dont listen the the quote it gives you when ordering - Contact Rocky Road and they will give you a more accurate quote for shipping).

So was still $850US approx, but it is solid AS! The way it mounts onto the roof I would be surpised at the weight constraints you are mentioning. Im testing now to mount a rack on top of this roofrack for a bit more space.. As when you put the spare tyre up on the rocky road rack, there is only limited space. I have an Oztent i travel with, and its hard to fit that alongside when the spare wheel is up there. I managed to find the top rack secondhand for $170, so not a bad setup for just over 1k.

Old 09-07-2014
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Looks mean..Think I'll just get their steel roof rails and work out a way of mounting my Rhino Alloy Tray (1580mm x 1295mm) on it..With my Commander I've had my spare on it with a jerry (in holder) and rack sack with recovery gear, table and tent stuff so plentty of room..The AT trays are light compared to steel trays and baskets...Thanks for the freight tip...When I did the calculator it came up close to $US1900 for the basic system which almost gave me apoplexy.

My Rhino Rack Setup:

Last edited by Wanderer; 09-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasar View Post
Thats my car love it we loaded with snow last weekend and it lasted till i got home, easy access with rear ladder and i can get up there no issues im over 90kg
Very happy with it , definitely need the deflecter for noise
It looks great, I'm tempted. Do you leave it on permanently, or can it be removed when not needed?
Old 09-07-2014
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

BennO Sorry I jumped in there. Mistook what you said... Anyway with mine, I take it off and refit the Mopar Areo Bars I had on the Commander (came with it)...Slightly modified the plastic lugs on the leg base to fit the Rhino brackets so Just have to undo 4 screws that secure the tray legs to the mounting brackets...5 minute job with a pully system I have in my garage..Hook onto the tray pull up and store at roof level , fit the Aero bars and drive out....Reverse when I want it on...The AT tray is light but it's easier this way....I like the Rocky Road steel rails but have to work out a way of fitting both..The tray should be easier...Why the Aero Bar??...Well they are aerodynamic and quiet. They will need some ingenuity..but that's what owning a Jeep ia all about...Isn't it??...

Edit: I'm adding another crossbar to the centre but have to fabricate a bracket to use the centre screw point...Dont't feel like spending $215 for a leg set just to get 2 and by the looks of the curve they may be a bitb too high..Will have to do some exact measurements

Last edited by Wanderer; 09-07-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Corrected Post
Old 09-07-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

I was set on the Rhino pioneer platform, but thinking seriously now about the gobi. But don't want to have to leave it on all the time. Hopefully Tasar can give us some info on that.
Old 09-07-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Hello Shannon,

Photo??..None were taken but from what I'm told the deformation was temporary and popped out with no damage..The roads it happend on were extreme..I know I've been on them and 120km takes about 10hrs....Pity freight from the US is so expensive..Not sure if there is a Rocky Road agent here...The Rocky Road Kit is relatively cheap but UPS freight ex-US to Australia is huge & that's the basic rack with steel rails without the accessories you have....US owners are definitely at an advantage when it comes to Jeep aftermarket gear. Still I'm prepared to pay up if I can't get what I need locally.

Further searching this forum shows more discussion on Roof Strength and racks so obviously there is some concern and confusion about exactly what is possible see: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=123637

I live in perth mate, I pulled the trigger on it when the Aussie dollar was $1.10usd I'll see if I can find the receipt for the shipping. I also got a set of mopar 18" off-road rims for $216usd each when mopar Australia want $495
Post New Thread  Reply