JK Throttle Controllers - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-06-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
I also have the iDrive and are very happy with it.
My wife and daughter find it too aggressive in Auto, so I have it set at U 3. A good throttle response without being too jerky.

Cheers, Craig
Had mine at U 9 and was chirping the muddies when taking off so backed it off to U 6 - goes well in congested traffic and keeping up with idiots so I dont get cut off in peak hour hehe
Old 22-06-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

I had a test of the expensive one a couple of years ago (thanx to Daniel at TRAX).
Floored it without and floored it with. No difference. Thanks, have it back!!
It can not predict you are going to accelerate before you hit the pedal, so it wont reduce turbo lag. It can not send more than 5 volts full throttle to the ECU.
It can make 1/4 pedal feel like 3/4 pedal. OOH AAH this FEELS really powerful. but i can do the same thing with my foot. And chirp the muddies..
Anyway, if it feels good, buy it..

Last edited by mick666; 22-06-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 26-06-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Like most, the JK's ECU tries to be predictive and smart so it optimizes the fuel and timing for performance when you ask for WOT. These controllers exploit this by starting off at high throttle, getting the ECU to maximise performance a little sooner than it might have otherwise. They also exploit us a little too - the perceived difference in response is bigger because we are feeling a noticeable effect with very little throttle input.

Sure you can do this manually but these throttle controllers make it easy. Everybody gets so hung up in calling these snake-oil that they forget that they are about convenience, not performance.

Anyway, I actually use my iDrive at the lowest economy setting to save fuel (one litre per 100km consistently), stop spinning the stupid Nittos from standstill in the wet and to make off-road throttle control with the auto gearbox easier.

I pre-ordered one of these 4WD Supacentre units and got the email today to say it's shipping. I will post a review and comparison with the iDrive after using it for a week or two.
Old 27-06-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 538 Times in 397 Posts

I think part of the demand for these is due to the position of the accelerator pedal being so much further from the driver than the brake.

I hated that in my TJ as well as in the JK. So in the TJ I put a spacer on the end of the cable to "shorten" it & lift the pedal. The JK has a wedge bolted under it to the same effect.

As a result, I don't need the electronics as the pedal is easier to control, and I can heel/toe the accelerator & brake when changing gear. (Although that is more challenging in the JK, due to the half second lag from the ECU deciding what to allow when you hit the accelerator...)
Old 28-06-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post

Sure you can do this manually but these throttle controllers make it easy. Everybody gets so hung up in calling these snake-oil that they forget that they are about convenience, not performance.
Don't go bringing common sense into it. These are like cheap snorkels, there are those that are completely against them and because they don't want one, then everybody who does must be wrong.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 28-06-2017
Never serious!

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

I have the Torque Tuner on my JK and could not believe the difference between none and the sport mode, no one could deny the difference in response time!
And flooring it harder, faster or whatever just can't replicate the same response.
Old 28-06-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I am quite impressed with the Kings throttle controller so far.

BTW I see they are all sold out of it (sorry to rub it in).