Another camper build - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-07-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TassieXJ camper - Front and side boxes

Hi all, the jeep on hold for abit while l get the camper up and going. Im building a camper for me and the family to get away more often.

The tent is from Austrack campers. Hope to get it opened up this weekend for a look.

The trailer needs abit of work. Change hub to 5 studs, clean up abit of rust, weld up both ends so no water gets in, two slide drawers (1 kitchen/sink, 2 pantry), also need to put in water tank and electrics.

I have also been thinking if l should change the springs to the same setup as go-jeep site ( spring same as jeep). Let me know what you think.

Last edited by TassieXJ; 29-05-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 31-07-2008
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

If your trailer has those short indian made springs and they have some age on them - it wouldnt hurt to upgrade. XJ springs or even falcon / valiant etc will give a softer and less damaging ride for trailer contents.
Old 31-07-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother trying to match with Jeep springs. It's not as if you can swap them off the car & put them on your trailer if they were to break.
Good quality eye to eye springs (Not slipper) possibly like these http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catal...317610f8642eee matched to the weight you intend to carry would give a good ride. For heavily corrugated roads you may consider shocks as well.
Old 01-08-2008
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking foward to seeing this build mate. After the awsome job you did on the rear bar this camber should be sweet.

Ben
Old 01-08-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to match with Jeep springs. It's not as if you can swap them off the car & put them on your trailer if they were to break.
Good quality eye to eye springs (Not slipper) possibly like these http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catal...317610f8642eee matched to the weight you intend to carry would give a good ride. For heavily corrugated roads you may consider shocks as well.
Thanks for that, the reason for thinking of using jeep spring is because l got a set in the shed. I was just seeing if it is worth changing. I was going to put shocks in any way
Old 01-08-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some plans for the trailer

The guards need lifting to fit 33"s
Old 01-08-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

First question to ask yourself regarding the correct weight of your suspension to match your needs is if are you going to add brakes to your trailer

No brakes will mean your camper trailer can legally be 750kg fully loaded so you will only require a light suspension to suit.

A good starting point if your trailer will have brakes is setting it up for around 1300kg loaded. That is the axle, bearings & suspension specs will carry the camper tent/awning, watertank, jerrys, gas bottle, sparewheel, kitchen unit plus all the other misc camping gear.

If you are going to add a boatrack, boat, outboard, extra fuel, extra water tank etc you need to reassess your trailers axle, bearings & suspension specs & perhaps step up to a 1500kg rated undercarriage.

An overview of how to match your trailers axle & bearings to your intended load to be carried can be found at http://www.campertrailers.org/axles_bearings.htm

Both leaf & independent coil suspension can be bought off the shelf with specific load ratings. The tricky bit is matching the suspension to your intended loaded trailer. Getting it wrong can cause component failure at the most inopportune place & time.

If you intend to travel over dirt road potholes or endless corrugations consider putting shocks on your trailer. Shockies control the rebound of the leaf/coil so it does not bounce back at the same rate as it was depressed. The leafs with the little leafs on the reverse side are called rebound suspension & do the same job as a shockie.

It is a good idea if you are travelling into the remoter regions is to match the trailers wheels/hubs to that of your vehicle. You will then have two spares readily available around the 6 wheels. With the addition of a good tyre repair kit & onboard air system you will be able to get yourself back on the road in no time.

Rob

Post New Thread  Reply