Filters WK2 Diesel - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

On that subject FCA did issue a Bulliton out to all dealers stating the 3.0 v6 VM Motori Diesel was to have 5w40 in place of 5w30 and all new vehicle's still on the lot were to have their crankcase depleted and relinquished with the updated oil viscosity and a label attached inside the owners hand book and one affixed to the Oil Filler Cap, I have a yellow label affixed to the underside of my bonnet stating 5w40
Old 12-01-2022
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I switched to 5w 40 in my MY13 as soon as hearing about the issue. If it's so important for 2014 or 15 up, surely it's equally important for all from 2011 up imho, fundamentally the same engine. Diesels in the earlier years weren't sold on the US domestic market, which is the only region FCA seems to monitor or respond to. Export markets? outta' sight....
Old 12-01-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 844 Times in 472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
It is a shame it is nigh on impossible to find what VM Motori would recommend for their V6 3L turbo engine.

We know manufacturers work on their own fortunes rather than the end user's. Hence I think the 5w30 recommendation from Mopar being upped to 5w40 in 2016 to include 2015 models, only I think as there would have been 2015 models still under warranty.

Though the engine was pretty much the same from 2011, so why not have suggested ALL VM Motori V6 engines changed to 5w30?
Or would that have opened a can of worms for potential Legal action from aggrieved owners who had experienced engine bearing failure previously?

I do find a measure of confidence in the basic engine being Gale Banks has been using this engine modified for Military use prior to 2011 when introduced.
to Jeep.
The VM 3 litre diesel didnt come out in the US GC until late 2013 ,thats why
Rock Auto doesnt list the diesels until around that year.If towing in Aust in the
heat 5w 30 would turn to cats pee .!
Old 13-01-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

When I got mine i looked at the specs for the oil and thought nah, I'm going a 40 then I found out they had changed it from 30 anyway, doing some research on it I found that the L360 version of the engine in the US was showing some drama in the RAMs, yanks only saw the diesel in 14? and it was around the same time they changed the oil filter, a view which sounded good to me, was the RAMs worked harder and the original oil spec which was more for getting good economy figures wasn't up to hard yakka....
The L360 VM Motori engine in the US seems to have more pollution crap and was in the poo for emission defeat devices, less HP than the A360 version in Export models which has less pollution crap, a great engine until AdBlue and stop/start added but all academic now...........
Many manufacturers have had oil spec changes as its all about the eco stars on the windscreen, price of servicing and the dollars per year spent more than whats really good for the running gear longetivity......... Its the "Look At Me, Look At Me" factor........

Well thats my take on it anyway .......................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 13-01-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

Oil discusssion is like talking politics or religion

My take is the manufacturer is trying to get the best economy sticker on the windscreen and cares little about long term reliability.

I would use a diesel specific oil in a diesel engine and stay away from additives.
Australia does not see many places or days that stay below 0C for the 24hr so the need for the 0W & 5W multigrades are limited.
Post New Thread  Reply